Another DIY ribbon progress thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
tade said:

right now the ribbon is running crossed over at 3 khz and run through a one ohm resistor. is this destroying my amp? basically shorting it out?

Hi tade,

Most amplifiers sound terrible when they clip. You may get smoother sound adding a 3 or 4 ohm resistor in series with your very low impedance ribbon to keep the amp safely away from clipping. It may be inefficient, but it is probably the best way to really listen to the sound of the ribbon and not the amp or step-up transformer. Some super amps like the Krells are sweet sounding driving 1 ohm loads, but most amps sound best at about 4 ohm loading. Try a 4 ohm series resistor and listen.

LineSource said:

Hi tade,

Most amplifiers sound terrible when they clip. You may get smoother sound adding a 3 or 4 ohm resistor in series with your very low impedance ribbon to keep the amp safely away from clipping. It may be inefficient, but it is probably the best way to really listen to the sound of the ribbon and not the amp or step-up transformer.

I opted for a step-up simply due to ease and necessity

I'm unable to hear the difference with a transformer and without (resistor)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.