• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Another 2A3 build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here is the schematic. A break down of the parts I used is as follows:

Thanks for your experience!

Few questions about the results:

1. Why you chose 2.5K load and not 3-3.5K?
What is the resistance of OT primary winding (copper loss)?

2. How much hum level are measured?

3. What about frequency response?

And yes, please share your subjective impressions about amps sound!

Well, it seems to have good separation and imaging. My speakers are elevated with the tweeters (MTM configuration) at about ear level when I am sitting down.

When listening, the speakers seem to disappear and you can't tell that the sound stage is coming from the speakers. Instruments are well placed and balanced. I am not using any tones controls yet to try and get a sense of the sound quality.

I do not have a super critical ear, but I believe I have a good ear. There is no perceptible noise from the tweeter even with your ear right up to the tweeter. Due to the use of AC on the 2A3 filaments, there is a very slight hum coming out of the dual 6 1/2" mid-woofers, but again, you have to place your ear right up to the speakers to hear it.

Since my speakers had a nasty impedance rise about 2kHz, I made a series notch filter to smooth out the impedance and now the nominal impedance across the entire audible spectrum is 3.8~6 Ohms, so now they are tube friendly so to speak.

I ran some AP tests the other night and will post the results.

In the meantime, the frequency response is flat from 7Hz~22.5kHz (-3dB points)

Signal to Noise @ 1kHz - 93dB (A-weighted)

Channel Separation @ 1kHz - 65dB

No particular reason for using 2.5k for the 2A3 load impedance. I wanted to try some of the Edcor SE transformers and this is what I selected as an experiment. Of course anything from 2.5k~5k can be easily used for the 2A3 with good results.

I have not measured the OPT primary or secondary resistances yet. Will have to do just so I know.

Last edited:
Here are a few AP graphs.

The Signal to Noise and Channel Separation are lower than previously quoted... I had quoted test figures from another 2A3 amp I was measuring last night.

Even though the SNR and Channel Separation are not great, the amp still sounds good. The Chinese 2A3B tubes I have are still somewhat new. Hopefully, in time, the distortion will improve at low levels.

My best Chinese 2A3 tubes are on loan to a friend right now. They measure about 0.3% THD+N at 1 Watt.

I apologize for the "hard to see" graph colors. When converted from .bmp to .jpg there is a loss of resolution.

Attachments

• Frequency Response @ 1 Watt.jpg
    Frequency Response @ 1 Watt.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 269
  • THD+N vs. Frequency @ 1 Watt.jpg
    THD+N vs. Frequency @ 1 Watt.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 246
  • Signal to Noise Ratio @ 1 Watt.jpg
    Signal to Noise Ratio @ 1 Watt.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 245
  • Channel Separation @ 1 Watt_Left.jpg
    Channel Separation @ 1 Watt_Left.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 239
  • Channel Separation @ 1 Watt_Right.jpg
    Channel Separation @ 1 Watt_Right.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 241
  • Power Response @ 4.4 Watts.jpg
    Power Response @ 4.4 Watts.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 53
  • Signal to Noise Ratio @ Rated Power.jpg
    Signal to Noise Ratio @ Rated Power.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Due to the use of AC on the 2A3 filaments, there is a very slight hum coming out of the dual 6 1/2" mid-woofers, but again, you have to place your ear right up to the speakers to hear it.

hey, I have had tube amps in the past, but Im new to tube building

even if very little, is small amounts of hum something you just have to accept :confused:

when looking at layout, is it optimal to have signal wire running on both sides ?
wouldnt it be better to have them close together, on one side of amp ?
or maybe it doesnt matter ?

Attachments

• 2A3 Kryptonite (40).JPG
    2A3 Kryptonite (40).JPG
    665.1 KB · Views: 120
even if very little, is small amounts of hum something you just have to accept :confused:

when looking at layout, is it optimal to have signal wire running on both sides ?
wouldnt it be better to have them close together, on one side of amp ?
or maybe it doesnt matter ?
When using AC on 2A3 filaments, you have to accept a small amount of hum.

The input signal wiring can be run down the same side or separate as in my picture. If run side by side, use a good shielded cable to minimize channel interaction.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.