Angling for 90° - tangential pivot tonearms

Yeah, nanook, that does get my hackles up as well. Like you said I'm sure it can be done well, but it's hard to have the same confidence in a multi linkage design, as a simpler arm.

Is everyone pretty confident that the anti skating force can we well handled? This will still be an issue with a pivoted head design.

BTW, I'm not asking that question skeptically, but honestly. I really haven't thought about it much yet...

Joined 2006
Paid Member
but it's hard to have the same confidence in a multi linkage design, as a simpler arm.

Is everyone pretty confident that the anti skating force can we well handled? This will still be an issue with a pivoted head design.

I am afraid multilink might be very difficult to implement and I am not sure about it´s reliability.

I listened to the Thales very critically and found it to be a decent performer but some kuzma pivoted arms sound much more confident and powerfull.... This is MHO based on listening tests within different systems... might not be considered as conclusive.

Anyway, the best reproductions I heard where using parallel tracking arms, so I believe in the concept.

wacky designs

Just for kicks, some wacky turntables and tonearms from Teragaki Takeshi san of Japan.

01:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

02:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

03:

04:

05:

06:

07:

08:

09:

10:

11:

12:

13:

14:

15:

16:

17:

18:

19:

20:

21:

walterwalter: "Wow.... Not sure if all of those complexities make sense. However, the more evil and mysterious both arm and TT looks, the easier it would be for a customer to get rid of his money."

Let's not get too cynical. The Japanese have a long tradition of experimenting with far out designs, especially some flagship products from those corporate giants. The Japanese get to see these far out stuff and the west have to put up with boring Scottish stuff.

Mr. Teragaki is an inventor and holds many patents in Japan and some of the designs are probably for research and development purpose, few of the linear arms look like record cutters and lathe. It's refreshing to see some stuff made with such experimental spirit. He's 87 right now so I don't think money is an issue for him. Old age probably tamed some of that inventive fire and the designs are more simplified as seen in the more current productions. I know I will never be able to afford any of his stuff but who cares. They are fun to look at!

None of the pictured products really belongs to the genre of pivot tangential designs. It was just for fun.... just like this thread or the "toned arm" below, which can be utterly useless for some people but the intent is purely for entertainment.

phivates: "Thanks again for this thread. I'll be submitting my two bits worth when my tubes come in."

You're welcome! I thank you and others for paying attention to this thread. If I have inspired anyone pursuing a project then I feel my time here is well worth it. Even if you don't build anything, it's still fun to think about these things. I know I had fun. :) I look forward to seeing pictures of your project!

Schroder LT

Looks like Frank Schroder designed a tonearm using some ideas from this thread or an old patent with similar idea. The name of the Model is called "LT", assuming it means Linear Tracking or Linear Tracker.

Notice the base is pivoted and there's no offset on the headshell. I think this is a more elegant design than the Thales tonearm - not having moving parts close the delicate cartridge and headshell helps to control vibration. The idea is that the combination of the armwand plus the swinging cantilevered base creates an extensible arm that is one side of the triangle inside the Thales semi-circle. I just need to see more pictures showing how the pivot guided in the Thales circle geometry.

Frank, any pictures of the guiding mechanism?

IMG_0076.jpg

Conceptually similar to the Schroder LT:

"Traversing mechanism for pick-up transducer arm for disc records" by R.W. Birch - US Patent # 3476394

More pictures of the new Frank Schroder LT tonearm from another forum, including his explanation of the design and clearing any misunderstanding of this patent pending design:

Frank Schroder/"Berlinta": "Win, thanks for your attempt to describe the general mechanism of the new arm, but there must have been a communication glitch, as there is no single ceramic ball present that has any bearing(haha...) on the mechanism that moves the "footpoint" of the arm while it is travelling towards the record center. The position of the pivoting bar(that holds the actual tonearm) is governed by a frictionless magnet/guiderail arrangement. The pivoting bar revolves around a preloaded ceramic hybrid bearing which accounts for nearly zero (~2-3mgr) additional (rolling) friction, for a total that's still about half of what you'll find in any arm equipped with ball race bearings. It's patent pending, so please forgive me for not yet releasing a detailled description."

This new commercial arm is the first attempt and a true alternative to the Thales tonearm approach in this genre in the current market today. Bravo!

041.jpg

042.jpg

043.jpg

8857c148.jpg

11791931.jpg