And what did we buy today?

...there it was, a Hammond M3 tonewheel organ from 1958 with the instruction books, warrantee certificate, and several other books. There were receipts from about one year ago where it had been moved and serviced for almost $300...

Hee! I still work on those little guys from time to time. They were built like tanks, sharing many parts with their more famous big brother, the B3. Nice find for forty bucks!

Once a month we take our daughter over to the Pittsburgh area (70 miles) to get food at Trader Joes. It is our ritual to hit the thrift stores and consignment shops on the return trip. I usually zip through those places in about 2 minutes since they rarely have any clothing, speakers or electronics that I'm interested in. The women, on the other hand can be in there for an hour or more.

Yesterday we walked into a Goodwill, and there it was, a Hammond M3 tonewheel organ from 1958 with the instruction books, warrantee certificate, and several other books. There were receipts from about one year ago where it had been moved and serviced for almost $300.

As with all vintage electronics, the power cord had been cut off. They are not allowed to sell anything that has a non-polarized power plug for fear of lawsuits.

It would not fit in the car we were in, so taking it home was not possible. The clerk said that I could pay for it, then pick it up within two days, or I could take my chances a come back later. I dropped the $40 price that they were asking yesterday, then drove my 10 year old 2WD drive Honda Element over there in a snowstorm this morning to get it.

Due to the current weather and the ice on my driveway, it will probably stay in the Honda for a day or two. It took me and two other guys to lift it into my vehicle.....book says 250 pounds. I'm not too sure how I will get that down into this basement......

It will be interesting to see if it works, can be fixed, or gets parted out.

Nice find.
Good quality.

4 pairs of cheap-as-hell Wrangler jeans, to replace the previous 4 pairs of cheap-as-hell Wrangler jeans. (No slave to fashion am I.)

Slightly O/T ....

A friend of mine ( who is , shall we say , a little on the large size ) bought at a general auction, 12 boxes of dungerees XXXXL size, 50 pairs per box.

This was way back in 1988.

He told me 2 weeks ago that he still had 3 boxes left !!!

He paid £10 for the lot ...... that is cheap as chips.

Bag of cat litter cheap buy.

Attachments

• 14725766_10154482468495149_9183801818988512431_n.jpg
    14725766_10154482468495149_9183801818988512431_n.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 116
Got hold of what looks like a brand new copy of Bob Dylan's 30th anniversary celebration concert on VHS for $1 Can. The video is not high def. but the audio is great. What is exciting is that the recording is genuinely live, unlike many modern concerts that are lip sync'd, thus non of those thingies stuck in the performers ears plus non of those revolving searchlights.
I'm glad I hung onto my super VHS player, it's only recently I discovered I can connect it to my digital TV

son in law that loads UPS trucks for a living......If I can find out what it takes to get him over here.

Meat loaf and chocolate cake worked. I got him here and together we wrestled 250 pounds of Hammond out of the Honda and into the living room, in a snow storm. We set it next to a heater vent to warm up from spending the night in 15 degree F weather, and I took a few pictures.

After a two hour thaw, I plugged it in and started it up, expecting hum or nothing......surprise, all functions seem to work except the bass pedals, and all the keys work and sound the correct notes. One of the drawbars has some intermittent spots, but this thing needs a good cleaning anyway.

Attachments

• P1000633_x.jpg
    P1000633_x.jpg
    655.7 KB · Views: 127
  • P1000634_x.jpg
    P1000634_x.jpg
    679.7 KB · Views: 125
  • P1000636_x.jpg
    P1000636_x.jpg
    606.2 KB · Views: 115
  • P1000637_x.jpg
    P1000637_x.jpg
    666.4 KB · Views: 113
  • P1000638_x.jpg
    P1000638_x.jpg
    616.1 KB · Views: 80
had a friend make the PCB for the 32-step sequencer.

Look at the Arturia Keystep. It is a little keyboard with mini keys made for use with a laptop or tablet, but it has an awesome polyphonic sequencer and a MIDI to CV converter built in. MIDI can be 5 pin or USB and it will translate between the two. I plugged the USB into the computer so I can feed it from a DAW. Then I wired the 5 pin MIDI to a Hexinverter 4 channel MIDI to CV Eurorack module for 4 more sets of CV / gate (5 total). This lets you do all sorts of tricks, and allows the polyphonic sequencer to run several VCO's and VCF's.

The Keystep can be found in the USA for about $99 USD, which is probably less than it costs to build a CV sequencer since the knobs and post cost $$$. Arturia is a French company, so it's shouldn't cost a bundle in Sweden.

...After a two hour thaw, I plugged it in and started it up, expecting hum or nothing......surprise, all functions seem to work except the bass pedals, and all the keys work and sound the correct notes. One of the drawbars has some intermittent spots, but this thing needs a good cleaning anyway.

Sweet! Keep an eye on that 5U4G, maybe give it a couple good thwacks to make sure it isn't shorting. For some reason they never put any fuses in these old Hammonds, so a shorted rectifier tube can take out the power transformer. (Actually if you're gonna keep it, adding primary & HV secondary fuses would be a good idea.)

Oh, and: If you pull out that single brown drawbar in the center there, your pedals might start working. ;o)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I got one of these for my recently acquired ET-2 air bearing tone arm. This unit will provide sufficient capacity for a second air arm in the future.

I currently use a WISA pump made for the purpose, but it is rather noisy, tired and old. It's output pressure is inconsistent and seems to depend rather heavily on line voltage, and that has an effect on sound quality.

The idea is that as quiet as this thing is, it's not going to have to run frequently to provide air to that arm.

Attachments

• DR-150 Compressor.jpg
    DR-150 Compressor.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 71
  • Super Silent DR-150 Brochure.pdf
    530.3 KB · Views: 38