And what did we buy today?

I bought my first "odd" camera, a Soviet LOMO Compact Automat för standard 135 film in 1989.
I have used spontaneously, but a year ago I started seriously using it AND did buy a number of other old Soviet cameras like a vintage "Leica", a vintage "Contax". From UK I bould a foldable camera for 120 film (6 by 6 cm) and tonite I bought an Italian Bencini Comet for 127 film.
The camera is Art Deco styled and has extremely few settings. It's a robust piece made of cast aluminium. If you forgot your handgun when walking the woods, you can kill a grizzly by the camera.
The film used is a bit hard to find, but a Swedish shop sells the film at around $20/roll, but an idea is to use the backing paper and roll your own roll using 135 (standard) film. That will produce photos all over the film area, even where the sprocket holes are.
However it will propably most be used as a show piece together with my collection of cameras and every now and then be taken out for a walk.

The dream, however was to get the VERY ODD looking Comet III.

Bencini Comet

kraftform_big_pack_300.jpg

A Wera screwdriver kit.
Kraftform Big Pack 300 - Wera Product finder

I fell in love with the laser tips when I bought a PH2 screwdriver at work it have saved me lots of time when removing rusty or worn screws. I think a full set in my garage will save me from a lot of frustration in the future.

I bought my first "odd" camera, a Soviet LOMO Compact Automat för standard 135 film in 1989.
I have used spontaneously, but a year ago I started seriously using it AND did buy a number of other old Soviet cameras like a vintage "Leica", a vintage "Contax". From UK I bould a foldable camera for 120 film (6 by 6 cm) and tonite I bought an Italian Bencini Comet for 127 film.
The camera is Art Deco styled and has extremely few settings. It's a robust piece made of cast aluminium. If you forgot your handgun when walking the woods, you can kill a grizzly by the camera.
The film used is a bit hard to find, but a Swedish shop sells the film at around $20/roll, but an idea is to use the backing paper and roll your own roll using 135 (standard) film. That will produce photos all over the film area, even where the sprocket holes are.
However it will propably most be used as a show piece together with my collection of cameras and every now and then be taken out for a walk.

A single meniscus lens, a fixed 1/30 sec shutter speed and a fixed f11 aperture, good luck with that if you want to use it?
How much was the shipping?
Earlier this summer I picked up a working Olympus XA with the dedicated A11 flash for $3 at a thrift store. Now that's a collectible classic.

The dream, however was to get the VERY ODD looking Comet III.

Bencini Comet

A single meniscus lens, a fixed 1/30 sec shutter speed and a fixed f11 aperture, good luck with that if you want to use it?
How much was the shipping?
There are a 1000 ways to take photos and I use some of the methods depending on ...
I am using my digital camera more and more to document what I am doing, some when travelling and shooting the family.
But since I started with the Soviet Leicas and Contax I use those cameras to take "artistic" photos. There's no repeatfunction (but for the LOMO135) so I have only one chance and instead of thorougly plan the scene, the shot I 'click away'. What's on the film is supposed to be on the film.
The Bencini is SIMPLE. But that simplicity may help me creating some odd or creative or artistic photos. The point is not to get HighEnd-photos but to sum up all rays of light falling into the camera.

The problem with a fixed 1/30 sec and a fixed f11, shutter, you will need to use a very slow 127 film, if you can find it, and then you may be disappointed with the lens resolution.
I would say there is more opportunity for artistic expression with digital?

I can wind up 135-film on a 127-spool, which adds another detail and I have some sloooooooow Soviet films that would work fine here.

Another kind of camera on my wish list is a camera for 120-film but that shoots 6 by 9 cm. Now we tak about resolution.

I just returned from a 2700 mile road trip. Other than the usual expenses I did some thrift store shopping. I picked up a pristine vinyl copy of Wendy Carlos's Switched On Brandenburgs, and a pair of MIDI cables. Total cost USD $5.

I would say there is more opportunity for artistic expression with digital?

In the 70's and 80's I shot 35mm and large format which I developed and printed in my own darkroom. In those days it cost money every time you pushed the shutter release, so you thought about every shot, and took the time to get it right. I bought a cheap digital Nikon in the 1990s and soon realized it's real advantages, more freedom to experiment since all pictures were free.

I have also realized that this can be taken to its lazy extreme. I got a new Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 about two years ago and it now has over 300,000 pictures on it. Pushing that button (or letting the camera do it by itself) does cost money.....I took about 40,000 more pictures on the trip, and now need to install that 10 TB hard drive I bought last month. The 4 TB "pictures" drive is full!

Just bought a Sony BDP-S370 blu-ray player for $25 off of online classifieds. This is also part of my current paranoia to have backup transports. $25 was more than I wanted to pay, and it's one of those thin, flyweight models, but finding one of the few players that are SACD-R capable at a cheap price and don't look like they've been beat to hell isn't always easy. I also bought some cheap ebay adhesive golf club lead weights and some thick foam feet to make it look and feel more substantial.

Breakfast for myself and my wife, followed by a haircut at a 1920's vintage barber shop - replete with the straight-razor treatment.

Beats all h3!! out of last week's extravaganza: a visit to the Emergency Department after impaling my foot with a 4 lb. cordless drill (don't ask):

Attachments

• Fun.jpg
    Fun.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 102
Ouch! I've always had a fearful respect for those after accidentally cutting the cord once. Never had the dubious pleasure of clipping myself though. I certainly hope your escapade wound up like mine (a minor flesh wound with no lasting damage/disfigurement). To paraphrase one of my friends:

DeWalt => De foot => De hospital. :p

Now back to our regularly scheduled program (now in progress)...

I've always had a fearful respect for those

My wife got it at a yard sale for cheap......I threw it in the trash after it ate the end of my finger.....no permanent damage though. I have wondered if my "new" fingerprint resembles my "old" fingerprint, but I have no real way to tell. There is a dark streak where the new skin meets the old skin but the lines appear to connect properly.

I was stupid enough to be one handing the thing up on a ladder trying to trim the hedge on the derelict house behind mine when the trimmer tried but failed to eat a piece of chain link fence. it found my finger much tastier. The result was a trimmer in the swimming pool still plugged in and bubbling away angrily......the GFCI never tripped.