And what did we buy today?

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Interesting I think if you say a case here in aus, it will always be 24 bottles or cans (unless it is long necks (750mL bottles) and then it will be 12.

The size of the cans/bottles may vary but except as noted it will be 24.

Today I bought a variety of things. All the parts (except a chassis) for a stereo LM1875 build (which my daughter is going to make). Some windscreen wiper blades for my peugeot 306. A cheap keyboard and mouse for a resurrected old computer (that's currently running ubuntu 10.04), A filtered IEC inlet for my DAC, and a few other odds and ends...

Tony.

I ordered an "8 GPU bitcoin mining chassis" intended for a PC based coin miner that uses up to 8 expensive PC graphics cards for multiprocessing. It should be delivered today.

Bitcoin mining isn't as popular as it once, was since many miners have figured out that their yields are less than their electricity costs. This has put a lot of the high end stuff on the surplus / overstock market.

One of the boxes on my "bucket list" is to build a 1 kilowatt tube amp, and a suitable chassis is one of the components that I don't yet have. Perhaps this can be used, if not it will house a big multi output power supply. If this works out, the big power supply goes into the server chassis that I was planning to use for the big amp.

Newegg often sells their overstocked items on Ebay under the user ID Rosewill which is also their house brand. The miner case is $89 plus $5 shipping on their web site, but Ebay offered up a list of about 5000 "tech" items with a 20% discount last week, and this was on the list with an original price of $79 with free shipping. I got it for $67 including shipping.

Rosewill 8 GPU Mining Case Frame, Dual PSU Support, Maximum Airflow, Crypto Mine Bitcoin (BTC) / Ethereum (ETH / ETC) / Zcash / Altcoins - R2030001-0118 - Newegg.com

Rosewill 8 GPU Mining Case Frame, Supports Dual PSU's, 4U Chassis Miner Crypto 840951127537 | eBay

In Sweden we had the nick-name "half-bend", which meant that the salesperson had to bend to get a half-bottle (37cl) of cheapest vodka from under the counter.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

img_5906-1d12a7f.jpg

Finishing touches to two PCB that together with five others will be ordered from China.

Tried a pair of proper cycling shorts for the first time tonight. Good lord where have these been all my life. I'm a dope for having waited so long.
I felt the same when I got my fist pair. There's a reason they're called cycling shorts. They prevent over steeping of the tea bags.
No Cal a case of beer on the east coast is just a dozen. <snip> Typical east coast slang for a 24pack would be "A two four"
OK, I though once you cleared the mountains the rest of Canada called a 2-4, a case. Here's Google's thought.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 7.03.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 7.03.52 AM.png
    94.8 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
A case has been 24 my entire life, smaller varieties take on a ‘pack’ designation (6 pack, 12 pack, etc.)

My favorites were the old ‘bar bottle’ cases that had a heavy duty waxed corrugated flip lid box that perfectly held a 10lb bag of ice when poured onto it......ambient temperature was in direct correlation with consumption and ice longevity, in other words a perfect symbiosis. :D

In the Netherlands a case of beer is always 24 bottles in hard plastic case (of course wooden case in "ye olden days").
To promote recycling you pay a deposit of EUR 1.50 for the case and EUR 0.10 per individual bottle.
A case of decent beer will cost you between EUR 10.00 (on sale) to EUR 15.00 regular price + EUR 3.90 deposit.
No screw caps, of course.
Cans are for camping / festivals / travelling.

Attachments

• Krat Brand.jpg
    Krat Brand.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 118
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Paul,
What can I say, I'm old.

The LCBO was called "the Government Dairy" in my area. It stood for "Liquor Control Board of Ontario", or the place you bought hard liquor. The current "Beer Store" used to be "Brewers Retail". I was against renaming it to the Beer Store because I figured if you couldn't figure out "Brewer's Retail", you really shouldn't be drinking anything!

In the LCBO, they used to hire only sour looking old coots older than me (60). The place looked like a bank and you would fill out a paper slip and hand it to the old coot through a gate, not unlike an old bank. Any product on display was behind glass. So the old coot would mumble disapprovingly and go fetch your poison, then you'd pay them at the cash and they would grudgingly slide the bottles through the wicket. The entire affair was unpleasant and kept most women out of there. Only ever saw the odd woman.

-Chris

In the Netherlands a case of beer is always 24 bottles in hard plastic case (of course wooden case in "ye olden days").
To promote recycling you pay a deposit of EUR 1.50 for the case and EUR 0.10 per individual bottle.
A case of decent beer will cost you between EUR 10.00 (on sale) to EUR 15.00 regular price + EUR 3.90 deposit.
No screw caps, of course.
Cans are for camping / festivals / travelling.

Actually, my earlier statements may have been hasty.

The plastic ones, yes...but over here they're called crates, rather than cases.
A case would be for wine or spirits.
I have no idea why.

We used to joke about how if the architecture in Japan was based on the dimensions of the tatami mat, then it must be based on the “half rack” here in the USA.

*Half-rack=container with 12 individual beverages inside.

Just ordered replacement/backup amp boards today for a project here, as one didn’t survive the super cheap input cable and I wasn’t fast enough with pulling the plug.