And what did we buy today?

So my wife bought this weeder.
I was skeptical as to whether it would work or not, having tried a similar device one time that was a joke.
I was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked.

Amazon.com : Fiskars 339950-1001 39" 4-Claw Weeder, 1-Pack, Black/Orange : Hand Weeders : Garden & Outdoor

With a little technique I am able to loosen the weeds enough to remove them by hand, and avoid removing a clump of earth as well.

That and my new transformers and large Siemens caps arrived, no more humming I’m hoping with dual-mono.

Oops [emoji28] I'm the proud owner of this piece of NZ audio history now. It's the Sonophone D4020 mkIII - something like 50wpc integrated. Screenshot_20190708_212234.jpg

Hi ubergeeknz,
Interesting. Looks very 1970's. What are you going to do with it?

-Chris
Give it a good going over, then listen to it for a while I guess [emoji1]

I guess you could say i've got a thing for gear of this vintage, especially the local stuff - a lot was just locally assembled more or less but Sonophone were really designing from the ground up and even exporting stuff.

Unfortunately they went bust, eventually. But they would have been competing with the likes of Perreaux, whom you may have heard of.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi ubergeeknz,
Couldn't ask for any more, could you?

That is what I do. Repair and improve audio equipment. My favorite equipment was manufactured between 1958 to 1984 it would seem. Consumers were getting a lot more for their money back then, and it shows today with so many stereos still making music.

-Chris

Hi ubergeeknz,
Couldn't ask for any more, could you?

That is what I do. Repair and improve audio equipment. My favorite equipment was manufactured between 1958 to 1984 it would seem. Consumers were getting a lot more for their money back then, and it shows today with so many stereos still making music.

-Chris
Yes it's a fun little hobby and these are just lovely tactile objects, which it seems a lot of care went into - unlike the newer stuff (I'm not talking about high end).

And who knows, perhaps some day I'll find an abandoned Sansui or Kenwood monster reciever that's actually worth fixing for resale, and it will cover the costs of my hoarding... Err... Collecting [emoji23]

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
A couple days ago I bought a Behringer HA-4700, four output headphone amplifier. It just arrived today and was in excellent cosmetic shape.

So, the positive regulator has failed and the outputs are three SIP chips sitting close together. Now of course the bug-a-boo of no manual or schematic seems to be available. I can figure it out, but it would be nice if time could be saved with the manual or schematic. Keeping the schematic hidden on something so simple is just stupid. Looks like I'm diving in blind this time.

-Chris

This summons a memory:

From the ceiling trusses in my shop hangs an ancient Electo-Voice model 30W, a 30" woofer. It was installed back in the mid-'70s, and after developing a misaligned voice coil it was recently removed from service (along with its badly designed open-back enclosure) and replaced with a more modern, better-tuned subwoofer. I wish I could find some of the original literature/ data sheets for this driver, because I remember they recommended concrete enclosures for best results. (We did not opt for this at the time.)

Electro-Voice 30W Manuals and User Guides, Portable Speakers Manuals — All-Guides.com