And so it begins. Fostex FE166En + BiB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well it seems the EL70 scarce so i looked at the TB w4-1052-4ohm.
the cab is almost identical in size to the one for the 166en.

It has 4mm xmax and i will prob use a pair in each cab for 8ohm and increased output.

Prob not as sensitive but shell prob be using 50w per side solid state power.

Can you tell me the dims you came up with (internal)?
want to check against my own BiB calculator.

Also the number i came up with has a height of 65", if i cut it down to 60" so i can use 5x5 bb ply what will happen, less low end extension?

G'morn,

I used the BiB Calculator v2 and cut the boards as close as I could to what it gave me. I'll attached that file to this message. This is not my file and I'm not a good person to ask about the effects of making changes. I'm a newbie to building speakers. There's a lot more experience on here and maybe one of those guys will chime in with some help for you.

Attachments

• bib_166_gm_v2.zip
    65.2 KB · Views: 151
We ideally want the cab to 'ring' outside the speaker's loading BW, so easier to push the cab's Fs above the HF corner frequency than below its low corner when it's the [mid] bass by making it stiff/rigid enough.

3/4" [19 mm] MDF has a modulus of elasticity [MOE] = ~527,000 psi on average while BB, apple and marine ply = ~1,800,000 psi on average.

MOE increases at the cube of thickness, so MDF needs to be ~1-1/8" thick, but isn't available AFAIK, ergo best to increase it to 1-1/4" than using 1".

18 mm comparisons would be slightly less, but MDF still ideally needs to be over the 1", though considering the low max pressures of a small 'FR' driver, it should be OK, especially if a little bracing is used to support/mass load the driver and also stiffen up the terminus like done on bass horns.

GM

Hello Everyone,
New to this site.
I am looking to build a BIB Cabinet like the pics in the thread above.
Is there anywhere on the net i can download the build plans or even purchase them ?
Also, what drivers do they use ? the Fostex Fe166en's ?

Thank you

You can generate the dimensions of the BIB cabinet suitable for your drivers using the BIB Calculator:

BIB Calculator | Speaker Projects by Zilla

The BIB design is not limited to Fostex FE166ENs - you can use a variety of drivers - plug the parameters into the BIB Calculator.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.