And Now For Something REALLY BIG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
18's? How controllable are 18's? the PD188 looks very serious! Would it dance nicely with 8w of class A power as well as several hundred class d? Is there any great advantage of the 18 over the 15?
If XOed low (80-160Hz), I would suggest a good 18" for bass-duty. Have been playing with single and dual PD&JBL 15", but the PD-186 in ~200L box has that little extra in the bottom without sounding loose and boomy. The PD-186 is actually a nice driver at a reasonable price.

I think the layout of JBL 4344 looks good: 18" + 10" + horn/waveguide?

I'm also on my way (slow progress) going big with JBL 2360s in middle. :D

Didn't read the entire thread, but my "mentor" (taught me about speaker/crossover building) had some big floorstanders like these! Huge box (ported) with 15 inch JBL pro woofers, 8 inch mid-bass, and (mounted on a board above the box) horn midrange and "bullet" tweeters. He called the drivers: woofer, barker, squawker, tweeter. The horn mid and tweeter had to be "tamed" with resistors (and a baffle on the horn mid) Source was an expensive turntable and the amp was homebuilt tube (KT88) He wound all his own coils (one day I came in unexpectedly as he was winding/counting winds... he almost killed me cause he lost count) Also, his friend had monster cabinets with four 12 inch woofers, two 6 inch midrange, and a bunch of tweeters down the middle. Source was turntable and he used two amps (one transistor, one IC) bi-amped with homemade active crossover. Those were the days! The guy with the JBL had amp and turntable in another room, and his friend simply suspended a board from the ceiling with a woven "plant hanger" to isolate turntable. This was over 25 years ago ;)

Now this is an interesting thread. A few years ago I built a pair of Iwata horns designed for a 2" driver. Up until now I haven't found a suitable bass cabinet to accomodate these horns. The main idea was/is to keep it a two-way system. Suggestions are welcome. As you can see in the picture they serve as a printer stand and collect dust ;)

Regards

Attachments

• Iwata01.jpg
    Iwata01.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 732
It's also only a 'medium' when we want a 'Really Big'. :)

medium? medium? You crack me up Cal - you're one serious BIG speaker connoisseur :D

If XOed low (80-160Hz), I would suggest a good 18" for bass-duty. Have been playing with single and dual PD&JBL 15", but the PD-186 in ~200L box has that little extra in the bottom without sounding loose and boomy. The PD-186 is actually a nice driver at a reasonable price.

I think the layout of JBL 4344 looks good: 18" + 10" + horn/waveguide?

I'm also on my way (slow progress) going big with JBL 2360s in middle. :D

Yup I'm liking the PD 18x range. And the 4344 does look nice!!

A 2360? That things HUGE!! I bet you could walk around inside the soundstage they project

Bass Sorted - MIDRANGE NEXT

Think an 18 per side for bass is just the right amount of overkill :headshot: Driver to be announced nearer to build. (Please keep in mind this is subject to approval of the bank manager :grumpy: )

So on to the midrange

Is a 10inch really too big? What should I look for in a driver for killer mids - drum/gun shot speed to catch you in the chest........

Recommendations so far:

Celestion TF1020
Fane 10-300 http://www.faneinternational.com/downloads/FANE_Sovereign_10300_Specs.pdf

I like the lower price :D 'cos the bass drivers are a killer on the pocket :grumpy:

Any more suggestions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.