And Now For Something REALLY BIG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The reason to use an L-Pad (series resistor+parallel resistor) on the horns is that very few amplifiers are clean enough to be directly connected to horn in a domestic situation.
And some amps and compression driver also benefit from the flatter, more resistive load of the L-Pad vs raw driver.

Just buy the resistors and put them in. Simple. You can put the parallel resistor right across the driver terminals. Start with that, please. Later you can experiment to your heart's content. But please start with the L-Pad.

And no, a single cell horn will not sound like a multi. I may sound good, but will not be the same for all the reasons that GM outlined. The multi is a huge project, I wish you good luck with it!

tnx Pano. I get what you are talking about, especially after reading your gain structure article etc.

The two types of single horn I am trying are proof of concept. Once complete I need an proper horn design and to make a proper template. Then I'll build them in multiples - thats the plan anyhoo Cos if they suck I'll be looking at laser cut metal

Last edited:
ear drum

I think you will recover your hearing. Right now you can't hear because swelling in the tube that runs from your middle ear to your nose is preventing the equalizing of the pressure on both sides of the eardrum. I would recommend that you not blow your nose if at all possible and just be patient. If you must blow your nose then do it very very gently and one nostril at a time. A decongestant will help. A bit off topic but our ears are the most important audio component we own and I think the former is worth mentioning.

I am trying guys. Just found out I have a perforated eardrum & infection to make my days even more jolly

Any ideas if the perf. eardrum can be permanent? Cant hear.........:crying:
As kids my bro and I were messing around with Q-tips. I was the creature from outer space ... you can guess what happened. Hearing loss is noticeable but over the last 50 odd years I've gotten used to it. Job related spl's probably did more to hurt the ears than that event. You'll be fine.

Tnx guys. Was really worried about hearing loss but seems minimal chance at best. You just hear 'perforated eardrum' and think 'OH :cuss::cuss:.....why me :violin::bawling:.....then you guys come along and :hug: Mega 500mg antibiotics, ear spray and co-codimol are working. Thank goodness for the NHS!! Although this now means I'm taking 7 different drugs a day :eek:

Audio just got easier and less fussy:D Now all youhave to do is enjoy and not worry about perfection. In truth, i am sorry, that sucks.

Haha! Yeah listening to a purely mono system would put me in the 'too cool for school' category

I think you will recover your hearing. Right now you can't hear because swelling in the tube that runs from your middle ear to your nose is preventing the equalizing of the pressure on both sides of the eardrum. I would recommend that you not blow your nose if at all possible and just be patient. If you must blow your nose then do it very very gently and one nostril at a time. A decongestant will help. A bit off topic but our ears are the most important audio component we own and I think the former is worth mentioning.

Yup, theres no replacement fro these funky appendages on each side of my face.

I cant even chew at the moment, so soup of the day is every day with porridge for breakfast to mix it up a little.

Nearly finished my ACA case but am putting that aside today for paper related fun!

I've had three inner ear infections in my youth.
A perforated eardrum is normal and should fix itself given time and antibiotics.
You should however avoid blowing your nose hard now and in the future once the infection is gone.
At least that is the advice I got from the doctors.

I have disregarded this advice a couple of times since and it lead to phlegm being pushed into my inner ear. This hasn't damaged my eardrum in any way but it took weeks for it to disappear again. Weeks during which the hearing of one ear was severely affected and I could hear the phlegm gurgling when I was sleeping on my side.
The interesting bit during those weeks was that I couldn't listen to stereo recordings (they remained resolutely mono) but it did not affect me pinpointing the direction of real sound sources outdoors in any way whatsoever.

ok, so no shonk honkin'!!

glad it seems not to be permanent. Was a touch worried at first. had plenty of ear infections previously but never heard 'you've perforated..........:scared:

BTW table is cleared for 'papier messy' to begin!!!

Last edited:
Thats good enough for me IG!

another silly question about wiring up a pot for my ACA HF amp. I'm looking at this page Stereo Volume Controls and this piccy......is that correct? does the left input go to the right output in :confused::confused:

i thought

1 input L
2 output L
3 gnd

4 input R
5 output R
6 gnd

Attachments

• pot.gif
    pot.gif
    7 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.