And Now For Something REALLY BIG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've never actually used digital TD or read anything about its design or have time ATM to research it, just know that folks are pleased with its performance even with horn-in-horn systems. I mean all it does is move one sound system back in time to match another, so don't see why it would change the summed off axis response from one done physically.

Maybe this will help: Live Sound International | Tech Talk: How to correctly get loudspeaker drivers in sync

GM

...... i.e. take the horn mouth radius [if round] or the height/2 [if rectangular] x 0.613 to get a 'good enough' distance.

For a 13" high 805, I'd use 13/2 = 6.5*0.613 = ~3.98" min..

GM

So for the 8 cell which is 10.63" tall (conversion from 27cm) tall so:

10.63/2 = 5.32*0.613 = 8.7"

Is this inches from the cabinet below or the driver edge?

Last edited:

Attachments

• big-maine-coon-3.jpg
    big-maine-coon-3.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 288
What cat do you have? A very angry main coon :D

I don't have one at the moment but I am planning on getting one sometime soon :)

It has to be white though, I love white cats, if you have any suggestions I'd be greatful for them.

The one I had 10 years ago was a feral/hybrid, we're not entirely sure what breed he was.

At the moment I've got a 12" driver that needs protecting, better get a speaker cover... will probably be getting a second 12", I just like the accuracy of 12" drivers with the right cone material, its weird.

Last edited:
So I have 2 other parts of the puzzle to collect before I can use the HF144's.

Unfortunately they dont come in cereal boxes thou finding a minidsp in you cherios would be less of a shock than a 8 cell horn :D

It will be the end of the month before I can raise the £200 for the horns and then a week or two for the minidsp, unless I can lose that in the monthly shop somehow ;)

I am going to need a preamp at some point too but I guess I can make do with the volume control on the minidsp for a while. I'm heading towards a battery powered B1 with board & jfets from Nelson himself.

I think I can power the minidsp from a battery as well. I wonder what the benefits would be? Other than the obvious - getting it of the crappy circuits in my block and one less mains socket needed!!

a 8 cell horn

Which one?

If your mains power is as bad as mine, battery power is de-riguer for HIFI/HT apps if you don't have a power conditioner. Worse is all the shielding required in my locale. 'Customer no service' AT&T's crappy DSL modem can't hardly function without shielding and even then, their line filtering leaves something to be desired if I understand correctly how this system works.

GM

Hmm, larger than an 808, smaller than an 805, so guess it's designed for the 20-20 kHz BW's mean equal power point = ~632 Hz XO.

The throats don't come to as sharp a point as the tin 'can' horns, so HF response won't be quite as smooth/extended, but overall looks like a good bang/buck product.

Sure wish I had the patience! I wonder how much a [12] cell would be to get down to 500 Hz [1205].

GM

is the 632hx the cut off for this multicell so I should crossover higher, say 750hz?

the guy also makes a 15 Cell version. We noted some odd details in the throats pics. From the builder - 'Because of the widening of the of the entrance it keeps all the 15 appertures the same area never thought about it before" & "yes the cells are slightly shorter on the outside banks but the throats make up the differance by being longer on the outside edges"

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.