Anaview AMS0100-2300 build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
BLT 4Ω?

Hi!

Partly inspired by this thread I have ordered two AMSO100 that I will bridge and hopefully build a nice power amp at an affordable price.

The data sheet does not mention 4Ω but gives specs to 8Ω and 6Ω. My main purpose is driving a 6Ω load but I also have a couple of 4Ω speakers that I in some instances would like to drive with this amp. What is your alls thoughts of this, is it it a harmfull load in bridged mode?

Hi Gitarrbyggare,

I'm also very interrested in building something with this modules anaview AMS.

Concerning your question, the datasheet says page 7 :

Recommended impedance load​
single ended (min, typ) : 3 - 4
Recommended impedanceload single BTL (min, typ) : 6 - 8

IMHO the limitation is the current provided by each channel of the amp.
So you won't be able to provide more power with to your speaker with a 4 Ohms load in a BTL mode than in single ended mode.

HiI have just try the AMS0100-2300 with a dangerous source and a pair of ALTEC 420.
This amp have a details and neutral sound and can drive very easily my 97 dB driver.It's better than my dead UCD180.
It's good for the price.

Compare to l'amp ver. 197V the sound is flat, boring and without life.
L'amp is may be not so neutral, but the difference is not importante compares to the other advantages.
The AMS0100-2300 seem to have better bass, I am not sure.
I think i will use numerics amp. only for the bass.

I have make also an ALEPJ and a mini ALEP (without buffer), l'amp is far better (for PHYHP 21/ALTEC420/ALTEC414/TD4001).

The data sheet that you can download indicates how to bridge the AMSO. It is super easy. Just connect both positive and negative ( and ground) inputs together. One output from each channel drives the speaker.

At the moment I am driving two AMSO100 in stereo, getting 4 channels. For my needs in my living room I get more than enough power. And they sound clear and powerful. Better than my previous Marantz 100W A/B power amp that had more of a warmer coloring.

Thanks Gitarbyggare!
I was confused due to the figure w/ BTL-setup which shows an "Added Circuit".
What is this for? (Edit: I just recognised that this may be a cable driver for long cables).
As a hobbyist and speaker builder I'm on very thin ice regarding amps.
I will run the AMS1000-2300 in balanced/bridged mode.
I can see that Marten Designs amp have a huge capacitor-bank for the Anaview.
Is this a common tweak?

Last edited:
I built 2 mono blocks each with an AMS0100 bridged as an amp for my woofers using the active digital crossover function my Devialet D250. It sounds great, better than the Kharma M150 monos which are Hypex UCD derived. I have some problem with noise (relative sensitive woofers at 92dB), much less with the AMS than the MP150s. I wonder as both Hypex and Anaview AMS are primarily designed for balanced input but I have only single ended (RCA) from the filtered preamp output. Maybe an single ended to balanced input transformer like from Jensen would help? The input impedance of the AMS0100 is quite low and will be that a problem?

I built 2 mono blocks each with an AMS0100 bridged as an amp for my woofers using the active digital crossover function my Devialet D250. It sounds great, better than the Kharma M150 monos which are Hypex UCD derived. I have some problem with noise (relative sensitive woofers at 92dB), much less with the AMS than the MP150s. I wonder as both Hypex and Anaview AMS are primarily designed for balanced input but I have only single ended (RCA) from the filtered preamp output. Maybe an single ended to balanced input transformer like from Jensen would help? The input impedance of the AMS0100 is quite low and will be that a problem?

I repeat, once again (because somehow people don't seem to hear the message): it is totally OK to drive a proper, differential balanced input with an unbalanced source, and by using a balanced cable you get most of the benefits of a fully balanced connection.

In your case, I would start by ensuring you have optimized the gain structure. What is the maximum output voltage of your preamp? What is the gain of your power amps?

I repeat, once again (because somehow people don't seem to hear the message): it is totally OK to drive a proper, differential balanced input with an unbalanced source, and by using a balanced cable you get most of the benefits of a fully balanced connection.

In your case, I would start by ensuring you have optimized the gain structure. What is the maximum output voltage of your preamp? What is the gain of your power amps?

The the maximum output voltage on the pre-amplified out of my Devialet D250 can be set to any voltage between 0.2 and 4V. I set it to 1.7V to have the right amount of gain to match the woofer levels to the rest of the frequencies. The gain of the AMS0100 is 20.6dB.

The the maximum output voltage on the pre-amplified out of my Devialet D250 can be set to any voltage between 0.2 and 4V. I set it to 1.7V to have the right amount of gain to match the woofer levels to the rest of the frequencies. The gain of the AMS0100 is 20.6dB.

OK. So is the noise hiss, hum or something else? Does it come from the preamp or the power amp?

The noise is somewhat a mix of hum and hiss, same if the pre-out function is on or off but gone when cables (which are 2.4m long) are disconnected at the pre-out. With the MP150 the noise got much worse if they were not connected but the AMS are completely quiet under this condition.

That sounds like a ground loop or other earth problem.

I have brass floor boxes and I separated these from ground using isolated ground outlets and that lowered the noise. But the AMS circuit boards are connected to ground via the standoffs as I grounded my aluminum case. I disconnected the ground from one amplifier (only as a test) and that one is almost completely noise free. I guess I should buy some isolated standoffs. Is there any reason that the board should be grounded?

I have brass floor boxes and I separated these from ground using isolated ground outlets and that lowered the noise. But the AMS circuit boards are connected to ground via the standoffs as I grounded my aluminum case. I disconnected the ground from one amplifier (only as a test) and that one is almost completely noise free.

OK, that confirms that it is a ground/earth issue.

I guess I should buy some isolated standoffs. Is there any reason that the board should be grounded?
Are your power connections 2- or 3-prong ones? The chassis should be connected to safety earth (purely for safety reasons), but there is no need for the boards themselves to be connected to earth.

I find that the term "ground" is a big source of confusion - it could mean one pole of mains, it could mean the reference point in the circuit, it could mean the chassis... "Earth" is at least a bit less ambiguous - it is the safety earth (that ultimately is connected to some sort of earth rod or buried pipes).

I would recommend reviewing your grounding scheme. How are your cables connected between the preamp and the power amps? Are the cables balanced or unbalanced?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.