AN948 amp project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Aetosa, please dont take this as a flame, but as good advice
(this is meant as good advice) .
Cut your losses, ditch pcb and try a better (more proven) design.
If i wanted to i could help you with this design, but i think it would be a waste of time for both of us.
I'm sorry but this pcb looks like roadmap to hell, i cannot think of a nicer way to put it.If an amp-designer doesnt take greater care in designing nice pcb ,that says something about his design-skills.(meaning designer from IRF)

This is probably not what you wanted to hear but its the best advice i can come up with.

With kind regards,

Klaas

kvholio said:
Cut your losses, ditch [IR AN-948] pcb and try a better (more proven) design.
If i wanted to i could help you with this design, but i think it would be a waste of time for both of us.
I'm sorry but this pcb looks like roadmap to hell, i cannot think of a nicer way to put it....This is probably not what you wanted to hear but its the best advice i can come up with.

It was an app note from about 1980, so what do you expect? I think IR was just trying to get people to experiment with MOSFETs in audio amps and this basic design fit the bill. I also believe this is the app note that Nelson Pass based his Citation 12 MOSFET conversion on, for what that is worth. No, this is not a great design, but it is simple and easy to debug for a beginner. It does illustrate the principles, a good starting point.

If you want a better sounding amp that is MOSFET based, try Rod Elliots P101. It is an improved design using this basic topology. It does use Hitachi lateral MOSFETs, which are available from the DIY company store.

http://sound.westhost.com/project101.htm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.