an observation on Ohms Law

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

rif

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Pjotr said:

Indeed it should be lower case, thanks ;)

There are too many variables and not enough letters (romantic languages plus Greek). Early on, Maybe we should have adapted a system similar to Chinese where there are thousands of characters to know!

Seriously though:
Or even better: just use "x dot" in the Newtonian schema (dots on top of variables denote derivative w/r/t time). I think he actually made pin***** holes in paper for it !

x' (prime) = v, x'' = v' = a. :cool:

I just did all this in Physics (school's out w000t! :D ) so lemme see.

E (vector) = -dV/dx. V = potential, say you have 100V between two plates seperated 1m, the E field is 100V/m and pointed towards the negative plate. Likewise, V = integral E dot dx.
If anyone cares, the E-field at a point P is given by Q R(hat) /(4*pi*Eo*r^2) where R(hat) is the direction of r(vector), Q is charge in coulombs and Eo is epsilon naught, permitivity of space. You can do all sorts of integrals to evaluate the E-field due to various shapes of charges (using dQ).

Oh yeah, we were talking about symbols. W is used a lot. You have W (work = F * x (vectors, force dot distance) in joules), W (weight = m*g*y in newtons), W for watts (force dot velocity or work dot distance), all kinds of stuff. K's are always used a lot.

For electronics, we use V for volts, E for field, I, R, etc. U is potential energy, -deltaW (a work W). Like the potential energy of a gravitational system (U = m*g*deltaY) or an electric one (F = q1*q2*R(hat)/4*pi*Eo*r^2, aka coulomb force, evaluated over some distance to make that force an energy (W=f*d) and thus energy potential difference).

Tim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.