An in-wall FAST that really rocks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think you'd want at least a wood baffle. I'm suprised I haven't had any issues with resonances. The lower part of the wall is only drywall and isn't braced. But I do have a ton of fiberglass down there so there might not be much energy making it down there. The studs are 2x6 and the rear is also drywall. Not sure the rear matters because, it's out the back. All in all I expected to hear issues but I don't.

It sure makes a difference being "infinite" baffle. No baffle step and very little diffraction going on makes this thing sound very good. I consider myself quite fortunate to be able to do it this way.

I'm getting there. This is all experimentation. Half of what DIY audio is about. I've even already changed to a different speaker altogether. This FAST is disassembled.

I already have the woofers and waveguides. Waiting for a CD to come in and then I'll get to work on a fully matched LCR :)

Mondo,
Still not clear what you mean. Do you have a picture? Mdf layer on inside, covered with plasterboard. What is the lath for?

I dont have pics, as this was before i owned a digital camera.

The lath was inside, not outside. Not that it would make a huge difference.

Basically i lined the 6mm MDF with close fitting lath pieces. I was concerned with cracking the lath otherwise i may have just tried the lath alone.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.