An easy and fairly inexpensive DIY Mini Monitor with a Fullrange Driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Konnichiwa,

maxlorenz said:
Thanks for sharing this project with us :)
Though I'm not a fan of minimonitors my little brother will love them!

I'm not a "minimonitor" fan either, but these are surprisingly good.

maxlorenz said:
This cynical introduction was to invite you to visit my thread about my DIY Autograh with Beyma coaxials :angel:

Had a quick look before, nice work....

Sayonara

Konnichiwa,

ultrakaz said:
Before I order a pair of Neofones, would a bipole be a good idea (offer any advantages) if one wanted a bit more of a good thing?

Or perhaps 2x Neofone in front, double enclosure size and roll one off <1000Hz for more bass control?

Not sure about the bipole, I did suggest a dual NF speaker over on the DIYHiFisupply forum.

One really neat trick is one I used years back (mid 80's). I had the 12.5W power handling Schulze KSP215 8" Fullrangers in reflex boxes.

Driving them hard with a big amp blew them out too often and sounded congested when a lot of bass was played loud (unsurprisingly).

I placed two drivers in series in a double size box and connected a capacitor across one of them. The driver with the capacitor across rolls out towards higher frequencies wherever you like.

As it "rolls in" it takes over more and more power untill in the bass you have basically two drivers in series, giving the SPL as the single one but with 6db more LF SPL capability. And the drivers always integrate!

Did me great back then and gave me a speaker that kept all the benefits of Fullrangers....

Sayonara

Konnichiwa,

Yesterday I had a friend over for various HiFi related things, in the end we did not get around to measure the NF's, but we got to listen a bit.

For comparison, the other speakers in the system where a pair of 2-Way "Maxi-Monitors" with a 9.5" Woofer (passive radiator loaded in 25 Liter, around 30Hz in room LF extension) and a 5" hornlaoded Ribbon, a little lower efficiency than the NF's.

He opined that the small speakers did not sound different in any immedatly obvious way which was a compliment to my crossover on the 2-Way speaker and to the NeoFones as they manages bass, Dynamics etc. equal to much larger speakers.

The only area where my larger boxes has the legs on the NeoFone's where the ability to go much louder without compression and congenstion and to play notably lower, nothing that cannot be remedied with a nice 100uF MKP series capaictor and an active subwoofer.

One negative observation was that above maybe between 6 - 8KHz the treble quality declined somewhat and sounded slightly distorted, the same observation was also applied to my Fieldcoil Supravox open baffles, which means it is likely a somwhat inherent issue, caused by using controlled cone breakup to extend the range of the driver, something most fullrange drivers seem to have (dare I say all?) but which is also shared by manyt dome tweeters to varying degrees.

I hope that helps a little more to put this into perspective.

Sayonara

Konnichiwa,

soongsc said:
It would be nice to see some waterfall and phase plots. Wonder why they don't show it?

Simply because no-one took any. The Factory doesn't/didn't and Brians own measurement capabilities are still limited (getting better).

Trust me, all info that exists is available on-line, nothing is hidden and non of the published are doctored except for a good deal of smoothing applied.

And to note again, they do sound pretty good and most important allow you to forget the system and listen to the music. This is not something easily quantified in Waterfall plots or the like.

Sayonara

Kuei Yang Wang said:
Konnichiwa,

Simply because no-one took any. The Factory doesn't/didn't and Brians own measurement capabilities are still limited (getting better).

Trust me, all info that exists is available on-line, nothing is hidden and non of the published are doctored except for a good deal of smoothing applied.

And to note again, they do sound pretty good and most important allow you to forget the system and listen to the music. This is not something easily quantified in Waterfall plots or the like.

Sayonara

Understood. I'm just trying to get a better feeling what it will sound like. I'm quite familiar with all Jordan drivers. Which are very good as far as I have played around with.

For example what does specific solo piano sound like? The initial striking of each key, the following harmonics and tone balance of the piano, the dynamics of the piano, sound signature of specific piano brands etc.

Normally if I can get a look at the phase diagram and detailed waterfall for the first 0.75ms, I can get a feeling as to whether I'm going to like it or not.

Konnichiwa,

ultrakaz said:
Please give us more details on your "maxi monitors"; actually, crossover details and what the 9.5" driver is (odd size?).

The 9.5" is an improved copy of the Dynaudio 24W100 (longer throw, more suited to smallish boxes, cast esotec style frame). The "MaxiMonitor" uses this one, a 5" hornloaded isoplanar tweeter and the Tangband 8" X 12" Racetrack subwoofer as rear mounted passive radiator in 25 Liter.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The crossover has fairly unusal slopes, but comes as true 4th order linkwitz riley 4th order ACOUSTICALLY, electrically it is of course nothing like that using a modified first order section on the woofer and a modified 2nd order section on the Tweeter.

What I did was basically to take the features I liked best from the SLS S8R Monitor (Tweeter), the Dynaudio BM15 (woofer) and the Sonus Faber Extrema (Passive Radiator).

ultrakaz said:
Also, what 100uF cap would you recommend on the NF for use with sub?

The best you can afford, I'd use Ansar, further bypassed with several uF of Mundorf et al Tinfoil capacitors. Also place an 18 Ohm resistor in parallel with the NeoFone.

Sayonara

Konnichiwa,

Nemophyle said:
the planar looks exactly like the SLS one,

The russian designer who works for SLS first worked for the chinese company that makes these.

The SLS driver is supposedly improved for Pro Audio, meaning stronger magnets and better cooling, but yes, the acoustic system seems the same or close enough for government work anyway.

The driver is the much maligned HiVi RT2HA. If you make sure to tighten all screws and to seal the sides distortion drops to very low and it becomes an excellent driver.

Parts Express carries these at 86 bucks each.

As they are more or less "constant directivity" they need the usual HF EQ....

Sayonara

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.