ampzilla transistor replacement for 2N3584 and 2N6421

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Update;

I worked on this all day, 10 hours straight. This makes the third day in a row when I've done nothing but Ampzilla boards, but I am picking up speed.
The last one I worked over had some bad burns and many trashed parts. I just removed and replaced all 22 transistors, 16 resistors, all of the electrolytics that hadn't already exploded, and about 20 diodes. It was a pretty thorough overhaul and took a few hours to get done.
Amazingly, when I dropped the board into the amp and slowly brought up the power not only did it not re-explode, it biased up, balanced out and put out 20% over rated power, a full 240W. I'll run it some more and make sure it's not a time bomb, but it looks like this one's a runner. It's amazing that this worked, considering how little I understand about these circuits.

The next set of boards is a set of the 121F model, the second to the last version. These don't appear to have any more than a few scorches. I might get away with a few parts swaps to get them running.
OTOH, they're 30 years old and who knows what they've been through. It can't cost $25/board and a couple additional hours to swap out all of the semiconductors. Then I'd have confidence that the board wasn't handicapped by a weak part tha twas getting ready to fail and spit magic smoke.

Anyway, I'm happy. I now have 3 working Ampzillas and another probably just a day's work away from done.

djk said:
I'd like to see you replace the 200V 2N3584/6421 in this circuit with 100V TIP41/42 parts. They are not the series connected drivers.

Looking at the voltages stated in the GAS schematic for the 121F driver boards, the driver transistors Q117, Q118, Q103, Q104 each have 1/2 of one side of the B+ supply from C-E, 40V out of the +/- 80V supply, so they are within 100V ratings in static conditions. At the 44VRMS output voltages that I observed, they would experience peak voltages of as much as 88V C-E unless I'm wrong. That would also be within 100V ratings.
That's not to say that TIP41/42 would be ideal components for this purpose, but the application appears to be within their C-E voltage rating.
Please clarify if I've misinterpreted.

I have a "E" board on a Ampzilla II I hope these work.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0577.jpg
    IMG_0577.jpg
    557.5 KB · Views: 502
  • IMG_0578.jpg
    IMG_0578.jpg
    574.9 KB · Views: 485
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.