Amps for the rest of us?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
DIY ing a good sounding tube amp is about as easy as going to JEL site & doing a 45/2a3/300B for a starter & in reality could be a lifer. These simple SE circuits are hard to beat for what counts....Music.
I am biased in tube mentality so take what I say with knowing I am extremely thermonic in nature.. nothing else does it for me, from horns to FR drivers..Doesn't matter. I drive Jubals w/ PP 300B @ a wappin 22w. It will chase you from room.*s* A simple PP 6l6 amp can sound excellent & would be what I would build if going for another PP amp, cheap & great sounding. I just drove Altec 19 & 604a @ a AK event with a JEL 45, most did not think it would drive em.......I am sure they are thinking tubes now..
Joe

Forsman said:

Thanks Dave.

I am looking at the RH84 or the Boozehaund to build. I don’t know which is better but the Boozehound has more instructions.

/Fredrik

I don't know which Boozehound you are referring to, but the 2A3 monkey, & the 6C45 are both great sounding amps, would work well w/ austin.
I really liked listening to that 6C45 Push-Pull Spud Amp http://boozhoundlabs.com/pp-spud/ , it's very neutral, but lets the music through.
would like to build one when I find the time...
want to finish some more efficient speakers first, austins are only 95.5, but work ok w/ 2A3 & 6C45, although I usually use EL84 SET.

serenechaos said:
I don't know which Boozehound you are referring to, but the 2A3 monkey, & the 6C45 are both great sounding amps, would work well w/ austin.
I really liked listening to that 6C45 Push-Pull Spud Amp http://boozhoundlabs.com/pp-spud/ , it's very neutral, but lets the music through.
would like to build one when I find the time...
want to finish some more efficient speakers first, austins are only 95.5, but work ok w/ 2A3 & 6C45, although I usually use EL84 SET.

I was thinking of this one but I haven’t heard it myself. JSN are doing great instructions for folks like me who are new to building amps. But I think I will build either the RH84 or 6B4G SE. I have got a lot of help in this tread .

Excuse me for my ignorance but what do you mean with Austins being 95.5 effective? Does that mean that they are heavy to power up? Saw in this thread that you built a pair yourselves; hope I can do the same one day.

/Fredrik

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.