Amplifier burning resistor.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think it is possibly that the transistor do not required insulator. But the screw needs to be insulated. With the transistor mounted with an screw check the resistance between the transistor collector to ground. Is you have zero resistance them the screw must be insulated by a plastic sleeve. Or see if you can see metal through the hole of the transistor if you can see metal the you must isolate the screw.

I am about to assemble my mixer. Would someone please view the full output schematic and confirm for me? I am 99% positive that there were no insulators behind the SC5200 Outputs. Does the schematic concur?

Attachments

• SC5200.PNG
    SC5200.PNG
    188.7 KB · Views: 111
On that schematic the collectors of the two output transistors (2SA1943 and 2SC5200) are grounded so no need for insulators. But make sure the collectors ARE grounded, that's the middle pin. Could you please post the complete schematic? I just curious to see the whole circuit, looks similar to QSC.

Craig

I jumped ahead and plugged it in. Got sparks. I think the 22 ohm resistors blew. Fuses stayed. Am I going to suck at this forever? Maybe I should leave it to the techs or get some education. I really like working with electronics but this amp has discouraged me. Maybe this isn't the place to get emotional but I am feeling badly about myself over this amplifier.

note that whatever was going to fail was protected by the glowing bulb. That bulb really works.
While it is glowing, or bright, you know the amplifier is drawing excessive current. THAT IS YOUR WARNING.

Don't ignore it.
measure check, find out why it is glowing. If it is due to output bias current turned up, then turn that down. recheck voltaages and currents. Has the bulb stopped glowing. Are all the voltages correct?

Only after you have convinced yourself that all is connected correctly and that all devices have the correct voltages across them do you fit a sensible fuse and direct connect to the mains.
You are simply trying to go too fast. Slow down.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.