• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Amp to Drive Lowther DX3's in Rear Loaded Horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Jon,

Good to hear from you again. First, let me thank you for all your help getting my Medallion's built. I've been listening to them for a year now and love them. And even though my Virtue Audio class D amp sounds good, I had to find out what tubes would do for the DX3s. So the Stereomour will be my first dive into the tube world.

I will let you know how it goes.

Jon,

Good to hear from you again. First, let me thank you for all your help getting my Medallion's built. I've been listening to them for a year now and love them. And even though my Virtue Audio class D amp sounds good, I had to find out what tubes would do for the DX3s. So the Stereomour will be my first dive into the tube world.

I will let you know how it goes.

Well the Stereomour 2A3 is built. I've only had the chance to listen to it twice now, but it sounds really good. I'm currently running completely stock using the Sovtek tubes that came with it.

I was wondering how much different/better other tubes would make. Jon, I read an article on TNT-Audio about TJ Meshplates and Sophia Electric 274a tubes. Since you have Lowthers in Medallions similar to mine, do you have any thoughts/suggestions?

Tube rolling

This is a tough question for me. I moved to the Emission Labs 2A3's, and have not really looked back. There have been a number of tubes that have come out in the last few years I have not heard.

My general understanding is that the Sovteks are on the hard side (that was my experience), and some of the TJ's are softer and more natural (but I have no direct experience). In terms of alternatives such as Psvane and Full Music - I really can't say what they sound like.

The Emission Labs are neutral, almost to the point of being a little sterile. That works a little better with the PM5A's I now have, as they are a little warm. But the DX3's are slightly analytical, and could use a touch of warmth.

Since you liked Scott's article on the TJ's and 274 rectifier, I zipped him an e-mail asking for his thoughts. Hopefully he will be able to give you a better response.

Best,
Jon

This is a tough question for me. I moved to the Emission Labs 2A3's, and have not really looked back. There have been a number of tubes that have come out in the last few years I have not heard.

My general understanding is that the Sovteks are on the hard side (that was my experience), and some of the TJ's are softer and more natural (but I have no direct experience). In terms of alternatives such as Psvane and Full Music - I really can't say what they sound like.

The Emission Labs are neutral, almost to the point of being a little sterile. That works a little better with the PM5A's I now have, as they are a little warm. But the DX3's are slightly analytical, and could use a touch of warmth.

Since you liked Scott's article on the TJ's and 274 rectifier, I zipped him an e-mail asking for his thoughts. Hopefully he will be able to give you a better response.

Best,
Jon

Hi guys,

Sorry for being late to the party :)

My experience pretty much matches Jon's. The Soveteks, while being fine for an inexpensive tube, are hard sounding. The TJ Mesh plates provide quite a bit more texture and ... oh lets say harmonic richness than the average tube. I've not heard the EMLs nor have I listened to the Psvanes. I do have a nice pair of NOS Sylvania 2a3s and I prefer the TJ Mesh Plate (globes) by a pretty wide margin.

Well the Stereomour 2A3 is built. I've only had the chance to listen to it twice now, but it sounds really good. I'm currently running completely stock using the Sovtek tubes that came with it.

I was wondering how much different/better other tubes would make. Jon, I read an article on TNT-Audio about TJ Meshplates and Sophia Electric 274a tubes. Since you have Lowthers in Medallions similar to mine, do you have any thoughts/suggestions?

Any update on the sound of your amp? :)
I am going to build a MJK TQWT cabinet for the DX3 I have just bought. My amp will be Twin Audio's APPJ EL84 SE mini Tube Amp, PA0901A
For a near future I was thinking about a Hedlund horn built.

Any update on the sound of your amp? :)
I am going to build a MJK TQWT cabinet for the DX3 I have just bought. My amp will be Twin Audio's APPJ EL84 SE mini Tube Amp, PA0901A
For a near future I was thinking about a Hedlund horn built.

Update:

The Bottlehead Stereomour I drive my Lowther DX3's in the Medallion enclosures sounds awesome. Of course nothing is ever good enough, so I upgraded the input caps to Mundorf Silver in Oil and I rolled the Sovtek's out and put JJ tubes in. It's at the point where further upgrades would be very subjective as to whether our not the sound improved.

Over all, very happy with the sound. Well worth the cost. It's my first tube amp. I migrated from a class D Virtue Audio amp. I had tried many other class D amps prior to settling in on the Virtue Audio amp. There's no turning back now.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.