Amp-Load interaction

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hiss and noise issue

Hi i have been able to get away with the hiss issue it might not be a great solution but i added a 2.2K between the input of the amp near the 4.7uF cap and ground and the hiss dissapeared. Its definitely due to layout issues. But i am still figuring out how to get that brightness in the sound coming from the amp to be reduced. I am building a new PSU to check the difference. About scope, is there any freeware you might know that i could use to make traces of the amp on a pc without adding additional hardware?

Thanks

Hi, i really recommend etching a PCB, it's very likely that your amp is unstable, resulting in bright sound. You should add at least my mentioned emitter resistors to q1/q2, this should help.
Veroboards are really not suitable for high gain amps.

About PC based scopes, a good soundcard can measure up to ~96khz, but to really check an amp you need at least 20mhz, otherwise you won't see the oscillations and other problems.

Mike

Pre-pcb test

Hi i did a final test with the headphones. Well i added a 220R resistor in series with the amp's output and a 100R in parallel, basically a resistor dividing network and sound is great with the headphones. I'll go ahead and do some further test with a loudspeaker. Bias is set to >50mA. Am confused how it might sound bright with the loudspeaker in the previous test i did. But a re-check will not harm.

inductance/capacitance solution

Well back to the test with loudspeakers there has been an improvement but i think i might know where my problem is from when comparing the my yamaha amp with the sym-a-sym. I tried a woofer with the yamaha. It sounded muffled, but with the sym-a-sym it gave a bigger increase in mid-band and high freq region. In case i am correct might it be due to the inductive rise of the loudspeaker in tghe high frequency region.If so is there a means of counteracting this with the sym-a-sym by modifying the zobel network or the damping inductor? (The AVX 496 seems unaffacted by inductive rise irrespective of the woofer i used)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.