Amp Chasis/Enclosures and Heatsinks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
fredlock said:
Boricuaso, I think most of Audio DIY'ers have this problem and that includes me, finding the right case/chasis for the amp is very difficult. I'm just wondering nobody had thought of building "custom made chasis" here in US or Canada. He could have made a fortune from DIY'ers.
I can build my own amp chasis, but thinking about the time I spent finding the hardwares, drilling, painting and putting it together will end up be the same cost. Sometimes its worth it but sometimes not. :xeye:

I have a Krohn-Hite Museum (of sorts) in the basement -- and here's how it relates to DIY -- the photo shows how KH used rail-stock to put together cabinets for almost all of their test equipment in the 1980's -- the material is relatively easy to find from aluminum fabricators -- and aluminum sheet is very easy to find in used computer boxes, blank rack panels are also easy to purchase.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

HP Equipment from the 1970's and 1980's did not seem to utilize this modular concept -- but the chasis are extemely rigid. I have a preamplifier in a HP5328 chasis -- the HP5328 was dead and cost about $10.

I like the KH-F46W enclosure. I'm thinking of using it on B1 or DAC. It's also affordable.

Attachments

• enclosure.jpg
    enclosure.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 371
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.