Amp Camp Amp Mod

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've changed R1-R2 because they slightly affect the idle current of the amp (the lower their value Io gets higher), also with MY system setup the amp sounds a bit better with these values, but you can build them with 0.47 ohm too, no problem.
The value of C4-C5 is not critical, they are on-board supply rail bypass caps, anything between 10 and 100 uF will do, but they should be low ESR types.

wouldn't it be wise to put a small input capacitor to bias the jfet gate's voltage, so that the feedback network resistors could be of higher value, hence allowing for a better lower value capacitor (the one located at jfet gate)?

also it would allow for a broader range of jfet type like 2sj74 and so on?

I'm not an electronic expert, so take it with a «pinch of salt» ....

wouldn't it be wise to put a small input capacitor to bias the jfet gate's voltage, so that the feedback network resistors could be of higher value, hence allowing for a better lower value capacitor (the one located at jfet gate)?

also it would allow for a broader range of jfet type like 2sj74 and so on?

I'm not an electronic expert, so take it with a «pinch of salt» ....

The problem is the bias and high frequency drive requiremeents of Q1 combined with the bias of Q4 needed to get the output to zero Volts. A 2SJ74 would likely require the impedance of the feedback network be even lower. If Q1 was changed to a lateral MOSFET or a low threshold V-Fet, that would allow the feedback network impedance to be raised.

i'm not sure i understand your explanation, Loudthud.

Let say the amp is modded and biased this way( i guess it would stabilize)...

What with that high frequency and feedback issue

could you care to explain a little please?

Attachments

• ACA_MOD.jpg
    ACA_MOD.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 530
dragonweed,

what are the advantages of 2n5461 and what characteristics are important here?

Loudthud suggest it's closely related to the feedback loop and Q1( on your schematic)

i currently have at home:

P-CH: 2sj74, 2sj103,j271

or for a completely reversed polarity amp....

N-CH:bf245, 2n5457,bf862,2sk170,2sk117,2sk369,j111-112-113...i think thats all.

Also, Nelson suggested to take a look at Wensan designs....i couldnt find any schematic....maybe they are better sounding( i could mail him...)?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.