Amp Camp Amp - ACA

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Heat sink looks good for one ch.

The 20 watt comment was that the amp is quite inefficient, to get the 5 watts output it "wastes" many times that as heat to the heatsinks. It's not a waste though- not when you hear it..

I like your idea of 2 totally independent towers on one base. It will really look good! Also very practical since you'll have switched inputs and volume control

I've assembled an external psu with one XP power ECM130PS24 smps (http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/310596.pdf) for two mono amps. I was using two generic laptop chargers previously.

The new PSU runs at 22.6V (after being adjusted to the lower limit). My old chargers ran at about 20.5V. I haven't checked or adjusted the bias yet, but it was sitting on 10V with the old supplies. Loudthud demonstrated that HF distortion reduced when bias was increased to 11V with (I believe) a 19V psu. On this basis I'm going to try changing the bias to 13V with the 22.6V psu after everything has warmed up again.

No dramatic change in sound quality so far. Perhaps a little more relaxed and resolved. I'm happy knowing that the new supply is likely to be far more reliable, produce less noise, psu voltage is the same for both channels and the smps switching frequency is well away from the audible range at 120khz.

Heat sink looks good for one ch.

The 20 watt comment was that the amp is quite inefficient, to get the 5 watts output it "wastes" many times that as heat to the heatsinks. It's not a waste though- not when you hear it..

I like your idea of 2 totally independent towers on one base. It will really look good! Also very practical since you'll have switched inputs and volume control

thanks. as it is for my son i want to keep it clean and simple, and it must be sometihing good to look at. i hope to get it to run at around 10 watts as we will be building small speakers for him to.

More stupid questions....

When using Keratherm or Sil-Pad insulators, do you still need to use thermal grease or do you just use this as-is between the MOSFET and the heat-sink?

Does anyone know a source (Digikey, Mouser) for a jack-connector (preferably chassis mount) for an EIAJ-05 connector? I have two power supplies with this tip and am finding it very hard to find a mate. I can find a PCB mount but that will be very hard to cut/mount to a chassis. I could suck it up and buy two more power supplies but I'd like to use these, if possible.

More stupid questions....

When using Keratherm or Sil-Pad insulators, do you still need to use thermal grease or do you just use this as-is between the MOSFET and the heat-sink?

Does anyone know a source (Digikey, Mouser) for a jack-connector (preferably chassis mount) for an EIAJ-05 connector? I have two power supplies with this tip and am finding it very hard to find a mate. I can find a PCB mount but that will be very hard to cut/mount to a chassis. I could suck it up and buy two more power supplies but I'd like to use these, if possible.

Will this work for you?

Regards,
Sachin

Please see this post and Andrews answer.

The reason I ask is that, for example, on the Sil-Pad page:

Sil-Pad Products ~ Thermal Materials, Thermal Solutions ~ The Bergquist Company

They list one of the pros of Sil-Pad (over mica/grease) as:

"Eliminates the mess of grease"

A quick Google search led to a few more DIY threads:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/69729-silpads-thermal-grease.html

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/204699-heatsink-thermal-compound-silicon-pads.html

This leads me to believe that you shouldn't use thermal grease with the Sil-Pads.

Hello All,

New to DIY Audio. Soldered a couple of interconnects which is the extent of my experience and my first foray into DIY.

I was thinking about making the ACA or the F5. Is the F5 out of my league as a beginner?
Also, could I reuse an old Adcom GFA-535 for parts and chassis for the ACA? Somewhat limited funds is the reason for the Adcom question. It has a chassis and dual mono toroids with heatsinks and all the other auxillary parts. Is it possible?

Thanks and I love reading these posts!

Enochrome

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Welcome!

Jump in with both feet... It's fun!

Yes, you could use the Adcom for an ACA chassis... You could also use it for an F5, although you would likely need a fan.

The transformers are probably too high of a voltage to make into an F5, but if the amp has selectable mains (wall) voltage you might be able to configure it in a way that will work.

If the funds are limited, the ACA will get you the sweet sound at a reasonable price. It is also a great entry into amp building. Simple and straightforward, yet outstanding results.
If it means anything I started with an ACA kit from the store and I am working on an F5 Turbo now.