Amp Camp Amp - ACA

Here is the front. Oiled walnut with red led let into 1mm holes at front so they are subtle. The inside is um messyish. Heatsinks facing upwards. Its a power amp for HF

Attachments

• _MG_0165.jpg
    _MG_0165.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 1,177
All wooded construction. Walnut front, 18mm ply sides, 5mm ply back panel. Ventilated metal top still to come. Will have a matching 180w hifimediy bass amp and B1.miniDSP pre amp soon

Volume control is inside as this will be a power amp for hi effeciency 109db/w/m horns and need some gain adjustment but wanted to keep the front clean.

heatsinks upwards causes no issues

still have the damn turn off thump :mad:

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    409.6 KB · Views: 1,089
Last edited:
While waiting for more boards, I made some of my own.
The toner transfer isn't going well for me yet so I carved some with a dremel by hand,
looks like the work of Fred Flinstone...but it works. I really want a CNC for this.

Mouser is out of the 2sk170 Toshiba's and in the F5 thread Mr Pass said the Fairchild J111 could be used.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/121228-f5-power-amplifier-1285.html#post3340644

Is there something I have to change for it to work?
The pinout is different but I have accounted for that.
It could be something with my boards that I don't see, haven't found yet but the last set worked fine.
I ran out of the 170"s so purchased 50 of the J111's

The ACA makes a great little headphone amp, all my friends like the sound of it, the F5 is better though.

Thank you

JFET Substitutions?

I'm finally ready to stuff the boards I got for Christmas but I've run into a snag with the input JFETs.

I've seen only the above two recommendations for subs for the 2SK170.

Can we get a list going of known acceptable substitutes?

What are the critical specs for this part in this location?

Well buying from overseas is one option....

Another is to use what I have:
MPF102 with Idss= 2 - 20mA
MPF4392 with Idss = 25 - 75mA
J201 with Idss = .1 - 1mA

Or if these don't work go with the recommended part:
2SK170 with Idss = 2.6 - 20mA

Or the F5 substitute:
J111 with Idss = 20mA

Based on Idss it looks like Loudthud's recommendation is the best choice but what other specs should I look at to compare?