Amp Camp Amp - ACA

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
It will take some time to finish the two PSUs for the ACA. Today I cut two boards from a 1m x 1m 25mm black MDF board I had in spare from a speaker project. When you live in a normal apartment it is a challenge to cut such a board also considering it is not every day I use a circular saw. One problem is all the dust. Circular saws needs to be handled with respect. They are quite powerful. But I got one step further…….I have two boards now. Large enough so chokes can be placed so they don't "talk" to each other.

Hello,
You can check the talking by using a coil connected between the two leads of a DNM and put it in AC voltage mode. The coil will pick up the signal emitted by the choke. I used a 100Henry 25 ma anode choke i guess the higher the Henry the more easier it will pick up something.
I remember with the lundahl the energy radiated will not be big because the two coils have opposite fields so there will be cancellation. Because you have chokes with two windings as well you will have this advantage too? you will have to try.
If you can detect the field with a meter it will be easier than just putting all the parts at a big distance from each other.
Where the airgap is there will be a stronger '' emission ''
Anyway it is importannt to keep the connections between secundairy windings of the transformer, the diodes, the first choke and the first cap as short as possible.
Greetings, eduard

Last edited by a moderator:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
so , mentioned 4V(ish) voltage is attached to Q1 , while having nothing with possible or needed Ugs voltage for JFet

what is most important here is that you can bias input JFet in a way to have ~4mA Iq , while still having decent xconductance - read - Rin , cojones, whatever ...... to fulfill all expectations regarding pumping that input capacitance of Q1 , augmented by Herr Mueller's effect.

Sounds to me that I'll have to wait for the other parts to arrive and test the JFETs in-circuit then?

Is there a good instructural textbook that you can recommend on amplifier design and building. My background in automotive and (HVAC) Heating Ventilation Air-conditioning. Late in life just went back to collage and finished a vary basic electronics 101 and electronics II Arduino and raspberry pi. I don’t just want to copy amplifier builds I would like to understand be able to design my own and modify existing ones without guessing actually knowing what I’m doing what book can you recommend. This Amp Camp Amp appears to be the best simple teaching tool because there’s so few parts and should be easy to understand and grow and knowledge off of this simple design.

Scanning Barnes & Noble and Amazon prime books and going down the list ordering books thank you very much . The first book recommended is in the $500 range I’m looking for that one used I’m on a wait list when that book becomes available in the used market definitely don’t need to pay the extra $200 just for a hardback edition . The journey has begun.

PS . my wife is getting suspicious and thinks I have a online relationship started checking my texts and email because I’m on email notification for the amp camp every time somebody post . And she started noticing the bank account charge. Money has been flying out of my pocket .

...PS . my wife is getting suspicious and thinks I have a online relationship started checking my texts and email because I’m on email notification for the amp camp every time somebody post . And she started noticing the bank account charge. Money has been flying out of my pocket .
I have laughed with this, as this is EXACTLY my case. She is not reading my texts (yet?) but I get notifications, reading texts and mails, writing back: "Who are you mailing with?", "well, with 6L6 about the amp!" :)

My measurements was approx. 1.46 A from cold start for each channel which dropped to about 1.4 A when hot. So approx. 2 x 1.4 A = 2.8 - 2.9 A if you want to make a calculation to hit exactly 24V when you simulate the voltage drops in trafo, resistors, bridge. But good to get a trafo etc. that can handle a bit more to have some overhead.