Amp Camp Amp - ACA

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The ACA's are now pre-ordering in the store. Sorry if this has been posted, but don't see anything on this thread. These are the new 2ch chassis like last order that sold out in 4 hours! But these have the (awesome) new Mean Well 24volt PSU with excellent specs, a power switch in the front panel, and a line level switch on the back for options such as bridging the 2 channels, and the XLR connector to allow running them as parallel monoblocks from a balanced preamp.

CompleteAmp Camp Kit (PRE-ORDER) – diyAudio Store

Last edited by a moderator:
I was waiting at the countdown to buy the kits, I bought two so I can have mono blocks. I signed up on all three notification threads and I added the email addresses from DIYaudio to my contacts list and I never got an email sent to me indicating that the Amp kit were available for sale. I was one of those people who missed the last three sales. Finally after 30+ years I was one of those kids who drooled over the high-end audio magazine ads about owning mono blocks. That amp camp amp is my first attempted transistor amplifier a few sparks a little smoke and lots of fun.

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
I was waiting at the countdown to buy the kits, I bought two so I can have mono blocks. I signed up on all three notification threads and I added the email addresses from DIYaudio to my contacts list and I never got an email sent to me indicating that the Amp kit were available for sale. I was one of those people who missed the last three sales. Finally after 30+ years I was one of those kids who drooled over the high-end audio magazine ads about owning mono blocks. That amp camp amp is my first attempted transistor amplifier a few sparks a little smoke and lots of fun.

No emails have gone out yet. We were absolutely scrambling to hit the deadline yesterday, and the whole new ACA ordering system is new so it didn't make sense to email 300,000 people and have the system crash, frustrating people even more :)

So yesterday was a "soft launch" to hit the deadline, fixing bugs and getting things in order, and today we'll tidy up some remaining rough photography edges and then start emailing people.

Despite no emails going out, there was a horde of very patient soon-to-be ACA builders champing at the bit, waiting for the pre-orders to start, and a lot of people secured their pre-orders yesterday.

Don't fret, pre-orders will stay open for a whole week AFTER we send the first email.

Thanks for the explanation on the emails. I was wondering why I never got one. But I'm one of the "not so patient" ones who put the three "pieces" of the whole kit in my cart and began processing the order before the whole kit was listed as a seperate item. I guess if I had waited another 20 seconds I would have only needed to order one thing instead of three.

I even ordered before the correct price on the parts kit was listed. Thanks for the $10.00 refund!

300K emails? Seriously? Wow!

I hope that some numbers are provided on the orders. I would love to know how many were pre-ordered the first day and then know the total number of preorders that are placed.

I wonder if people build ACA because it is an easy and cheap amp to build and you get PSU and everything in the kit or there are other reasons. For me there was other reasons also......

It seems Diystore is mostly driven by PassLab constructions?
There are some "neutral components" also but they all seems to have a "smell" of PassLab.

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
No agenda. Tt's just been hard to find suitable projects. There's not that many manufacturers of kits these days. To date we've tried to only stock things in the store you can't get anywhere else, filling needed gaps for DIYers - stuff like Keratherm, Deluxe chassis, matched JFETs, etc.

However, in the near future we'll have kits from Elekit, and possibly the likes of Bottlehead and if you know of other good manufacturers of do-it-yourself kits/projects that might interest diyAudio members, please let me know via contact@diyaudiostore.com! They seem to be few and far between.

Of course, we have a few interesting things courtesy of Nelson coming up in the pipeline...

It seems Diystore is mostly driven by PassLab constructions?
There are some "neutral components" also but they all seems to have a "smell" of PassLab.

And that's a bad thing? Nelson is a world class designer. I've owned so many different Threshold and Pass Labs pieces of gear, I can't remember them all.

High Five to Nelson for doing all of this for us and for the guys at the DIY Store for putting it all together.

I, for one, greatly appreciate it!

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
I just changed my power supply in my class D integrated amp that i use in my home cinema set. Before it was rectifier, 127 mH on both sides, then 2*4700 µF, then LL2733 175mH 2A, then 22000 µF all in a seperate enclosure. On the circuit itself there is a 30000µF cap.
Because i found the current being drawn was well below 1A i decided to use the LL2733 with one winding on each side of the power supply. SO 175 mH did change into 700 mH, 2A went down to 1A, dcr did go from 0,85 to 2*1,7 ohm. The power transformer has several primary windings so i used not the 220 but 210 to get about the same output.
It does sound better.
So i hope our member in Copenhagen will share his ideas about the chokes he ordered.
greetings, eduard

Last edited:
Hello,
I just changed my power supply in my class D integrated amp that i use in my home cinema set. Before it was rectifier, 127 mH on both sides, then 2*4700 µF, then LL2733 175mH 2A, then 22000 µF all in a seperate enclosure. On the circuit itself there is a 30000µF cap.
Because i found the current being drawn was well below 1A i decided to use the LL2733 with one winding on each side of the power supply. SO 175 mH did change into 700 mH, 2A went down to 1A, dcr did go from 0,85 to 2*1,7 ohm. The power transformer has several primary windings so i used not the 220 but 210 to get about the same output.
It does sound better.
So i hope our member in Copenhagen will share his ideas about the chokes he ordered.
greetings, eduard

Yes, but it will take a while before everything is built but I have a constant progress. Sometimes the progress is just a new idea or a way to mount things.

I got a Pesante chassis with the extra base plate for the 2x 24V linear PSUs. As you can see from the pictures everything fits at the base plate (300VA UI trafo and 2 x (2 x 250 mH) chokes pr. side. The problem is that the about 40 kg iron is way too much for such a chassis. If I try to lift the base plate it bend like paper. Even components for at single PSU seems to be too much stress. I need 3mm steel plates for this. Maybe "rifle grade" steel.

The way to go is to built the PSUs on wood.......I think.

I have just taken the ideas from the double Lundahl chokes and use the serial connection af the chokes which Lundahl describes "for better common mode rejection" (used it for a tube HV PSU). But it is important to couple the two chokes rigth so the DC will drive the flux in the same direction in both chokes opposite that was a common mode choke does (as far as I have studied).

Lundahl describes the different ways the double chokes can be coupled and the winding direction is also marked. So everything it "transparant" on how it is done.

http://www.lundahl.se/wp-content/uploads/datasheets/2742.pdf

If it is not done right the choke will just be an expensive resistor (as Eduard wrote to me after having "talked" to Lundahl).

Attachments

• DSC_3794.jpg
    DSC_3794.jpg
    550.2 KB · Views: 525