Amp Camp Amp - ACA

DCB1 ACA and wood 24v

Attachments

• IMG_4102.jpg
    IMG_4102.jpg
    532.4 KB · Views: 661
I finally stopped lurking and now I am a member. Thanks to all of you in this thread for your insight into Papa Nelson's little monoblocks, I just ordered my kit (parts and chassis').

I actually started building electronics projects when I was eight years old, but that was 54 years ago... I'm glad to get back into it.

Thanks again, everyone!!

Scott

I finally stopped lurking and now I am a member. Thanks to all of you in this thread for your insight into Papa Nelson's little monoblocks, I just ordered my kit (parts and chassis').

I actually started building electronics projects when I was eight years old, but that was 54 years ago... I'm glad to get back into it.

Thanks again, everyone!!

Scott

Welcome, I'm relatively new here, and have much the same background. These amps are a joy to build, and I hope you get the same sense of accomplishment I felt.

However, that's just half the fun. After you've built and enjoyed them for a while, read through the thread and you'll find some interesting mods, and ideas for tweaking. Your journey is just starting!

Welcome, I'm relatively new here, and have much the same background. These amps are a joy to build, and I hope you get the same sense of accomplishment I felt.

However, that's just half the fun. After you've built and enjoyed them for a while, read through the thread and you'll find some interesting mods, and ideas for tweaking. Your journey is just starting!

Thanks for the support! Unfortunately I've already started to plan some mods and "upgrades" to these amps. I was really addicted to this stuff early in life, and it seems to be taking hold with a vengeance... Sigh...

I asked the below question in a separate post... maybe this was a better place?

I just built the ACA kit and using the switching supplies the power is only about a watt and the noise is 26mV on the scope. I tried the amp with my linear regulated supply and the noise is 12mV and the power is 6 watts. I let the amp burn in for 30 minutes and I set Q1 to 10V. Has any one else had this problem? Thanks

The amplifier works great from a linear power supply, there is no voltage sag on the switching supply. The inrush current is not a factor. The model of the power supply is: PPP014S. Has anyone else had a problem like this with this supply?

Hi guys
I've been running this amp for a bit now and yes it sounds great. Do anyone else's amp's make funny noises during startup or switch off? Just wondering if it's the power supply or the amps.... Bit worried about dc getting to the diaphragms of my horn's.
Should I be worried?
About to try a 24v pover pack as everyone says it makes a big difference.

Thanks

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Do both channels output the same one watt? Yes it should be 6 watts.. .
If both PSU's are bad, that's surprising. If one channel is bad then that's not as surprising, but very unusual..
Did you try switching the PSU's to opposite channels ?)

In our experience the PSU's are quite reliable. Surprisingly so for the price! But I wouldn't be too shocked if one PSU worked and one didn't. However it is very surprising that BOTH your PSU's seem to be defective. That makes it seem that there is something else going on... Anyway if you need replacements, and the diyAudio store sends them , AND they also don't work correctly , then the PSU's aren't the problem. Are you using the PSU jack for the linear supply?

I asked the below question in a separate post... maybe this was a better place?

I just built the ACA kit and using the switching supplies the power is only about a watt and the noise is 26mV on the scope. I tried the amp with my linear regulated supply and the noise is 12mV and the power is 6 watts. I let the amp burn in for 30 minutes and I set Q1 to 10V. Has any one else had this problem? Thanks

The amplifier works great from a linear power supply, there is no voltage sag on the switching supply. The inrush current is not a factor. The model of the power supply is: PPP014S. Has anyone else had a problem like this with this supply?

Last edited:
Both were at 1 watt and noisy with the SMPS and silent and 6watts with the linear, regulated supply. The DIYaudio store has been super easy and is sending 2 new units.
I have pics of my build... happy to email anyone who wants to see. Ive ordered 2 fixed linear 19V supplies form Ebay. I plan to measure the results again with the old SMPS, new SMPS and the linear supplies.
I recognize its strange to see same issue in both. Its appears that the amps are perfect, but the SMPS are not.