Amp Camp Amp - ACA

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
no need to suspect fake IRFP , but dunno for 2SK170BL

it depends was that purchase from reputable member of one-offer

you can test them out of pcb , simple Idss test - with and without some source resistor (say 20-33 ohms) , and calculate xconductance from that

if that is comparable with Toshiba data , then good - search for culprit somewhere else

anyway - same situation with both channels ?

pics possible ?

The ACA has a low damping factor so any impedance hills and valleys of the load show up as frequency response deviations. It performs best with single driver full range speakers although the high end may be a little strong. Many two or three way crossovers do not have a flat impedance characteristic.

Ok, I did some changes to the power supply.

I've replaced the toroid with a 20VAC 50VA and regulated with LT3083.

The amp draws about 1.1A now. I've kept the bias to be 10 VDC

The frequency response has improved a lot more. I've tested with an 8 ohm load.
Don't have a full graph but from some quick measurements the is a slight dip from about 1k to 3k at about 1 db down but flat till about 15kHz then gain goes up high even into the 200kHz range.

It does sounds alot better. I find that bass is a bit on the light side, but that could be the damping factor or my regulator. I havent measured my jfets yet.

I would say that it is working, i'll apply the mod and see if it improves things.

Thanks for the inputs.

Leo

Has anyone else put some film caps in parallel with C1 and C2? I just used some I had laying around (Hovland Music cap 3.3uf on the 3300 and ClarityCap PX 1.0 on the 1000) and I think the soundstage, upper frequency registers are better - noticeably better.

Last edited:
I did.

Best regards - Rudi_Ratlos

Attachments

• newaca 001.jpg
    newaca 001.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 688
@all212: the film-cap across the 3.300µF that I have soldered, is meaning only a very small improvement in sound.

If you want to listen to an ACA "at its best": give it a 24-25VDC PSU.
For example the one shown below.
You only need a dual 18VAC secondary - transformer (rated at 120-160VA) to connect to the ACAs.

At what voltage are you operating your ACAs?

Best regards - Rudi

Attachments

• ACA#1.b&PSU_topview.png
    ACA#1.b&PSU_topview.png
    163 KB · Views: 592
Last edited:
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
We use power bricks in the kit, and they are surprisingly un-noisy. Is that "Papa Pass" magic? Possibly, but he does have an Audio Precision tester so he can actually measure this stuff ;)

My biggest concern about the bricks you linked to is there seem to be a lot of complaints about them in the reviews..

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
We use power bricks in the kit, and they are surprisingly un-noisy. Is that "Papa Pass" magic? Probably, but he does have an Audio Precision tester so he can actually measure this stuff ;)

My biggest concern about the bricks you linked to is there seem to be a lot of complaints about them in the reviews..

I have four of these and have not had a problem with them not working. I did measure the AC ripple as 16mV - is that bad? I do have a Dell SMPS on one of my class D amps and it is very quiet but have not actually measured ripple on that one.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member