Amorphous core in the toroidal power supply transformer for the ultimate audio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite the difference in price 80 times, between silver and copper, their difference in resistivity is much less than 3%, but all clearly feel a huge difference in sound.

The difference in resistivity is actually some 7%, unless Russian silver is less pure (Copper Vs. Silver Wire Conductivity | Sciencing)
The difference in price between silver and copper in Europe is a factor 150 for manufactured magnet wire.

You will find the same difference in resistivity when checking various sources.
I wound exactly the same transformers with copper and silver wire (both Elektrisola manufacture) and the difference is indeed about 7%.

http://met-all.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Tt3.jpg
I gave the data at random, the difference is 13%
Russian silver was cleaner.

Your link exactly confirms the difference of some 7% (0.016 - 0.017).
Is your calculator Russian? :D

Yes that's 6% wrong when it is actually 7%.

I wrote 13% and Russian. Разница в процентах | Онлайн калькулятор
And if the difference in price in Europe to the wire is 150 times, then in the price for the magnetic core is only 1.5 -3 times.

:confused::confused:
With all respect Gunfu, but if someone around you is able to do the English language for you it would become a bit easier to understand what you mean.

You mean while only voltage parameters, you need power, that would be right to choose the envelope of the magnetic circuit. It is also desirable to say whether esst requirements for the overall size, all of a sudden the transformer can not fit in the finished amplifier. Amorphous will be approximately 1.5 times larger.

Then what will happen with copper loss?

You mean while only voltage parameters, you need power, that would be right to choose the envelope of the magnetic circuit. It is also desirable to say whether esst requirements for the overall size, all of a sudden the transformer can not fit in the finished amplifier. Amorphous will be approximately 1.5 times larger.
If you only need one transformer. It's easier for me to find a manufacturer for you in the United States. I will check tomorrow.
Ок?

Unfortunately I do not understand your abbreviations and slang. I'm not a native speaker of English.

Thank you .....I need 2 size does not matter for this application

You claim the advantage of amorphous cores for power supply transformers because of less "power loss".
For comparable transformers the amorphous core must be larger to compensate for the maximum B.
So the amorphous transformer will have higher DC resistances (and therefore "losses") no matter if wound with copper or silver.
So what remains being an advantage??
Apart from that, the amorphous transformer will be better in transferring line rubbish from primary to secondary because of it's lower high frequency losses, and we don't want that.
Screening the primary from secondary with a copper shield is a must then.
Silicon steel (M6 grade) is good enough for power supply transformers; it has a higher saturation treshold than amorphous and has no more losses within the same envelope.
For power supply chokes on the other hand the finer materials have an advantage.

Yes, the difference between audio application and industrial power plant.
Do you have an example of an audio amplifier with a 2 million watt power supply transformer?
Besides, in your graph the difference in efficiency at load over 50% is only 0.5%.
That might be a factor of economy in a power plant; for audio amplifiers it has no meaning at all.

Last edited:
Yes, the difference between audio application and industrial power plant.
Do you have an example of an audio amplifier with a 2 million watt power supply transformer?
Besides, in your graph the difference in efficiency at load over 50% is only 0.5%.
That might be a factor of economy in a power plant; for audio amplifiers it has no meaning at all.
But you used silver in sound amplifiers, the cost of which is 150 times more expensive, but only 6% better than copper. Wrap a silver wire on a silicon steel - it's just lost money, because the efficiency of an amorphous magnetic core is 6 times !!! higher than the silicon core, and not by 6% as in your case when silver was used. And the price of an amorphous magnetic core is now practically commensurate with the price of the best silicon steel.
Ok, amorpheous cores may provide a tiny bit better efficiency, which may be useful in large, high-power installations. So what?
What do not you understand? I have already written that the efficiency of a transformer with an amorphous magnetic core and a copper winding is higher than that of a silicon steel transformer and wound with silver wire, the total cost of which will be 150 times higher!
Is this a bad result?
If the price is 150 times lower for an amorphous transformer, and the efficiency will still be higher!

But you used silver in sound amplifiers, the cost of which is 150 times more expensive, but only 6% better than copper. Wrap a silver wire on a silicon steel - it's just lost money, because the efficiency of an amorphous magnetic core is 6 times !!! higher than the silicon core, and not by 6% as in your case when silver was used. And the price of an amorphous magnetic core is now practically commensurate with the price of the best silicon steel.

OK, you are the champion magician in numbers :D (I give up...:eek:)
For your interest, I use silver wire on Finemet (nanocrystalline) c-cores at the customers request. I would never do it for myself because there are millions of options to spend your money better IMO :yes:

OK, you are the champion magician in numbers :D (I give up...:eek:)
For your interest, I use silver wire on Finemet (nanocrystalline) c-cores at the customers request. I would never do it for myself because there are millions of options to spend your money better IMO :yes:
It is interesting, how much more losses in the c-core is due to the presence of a cut in comparison with the toroidal one?
I think that the c-core does not deserve a silver wire, here you are right, again, money to the wind ...

Last edited:
The transformer does not work at direct current, there is no sense in reducing the losses in wires for direct current by such a high price (150 times) if the total losses for the alternating current due to losses in the magnetic circuit will still be high.
Now do you understand what I'm leading to?
What is the true worth and effectiveness of an amorphous closed toroidal magnetic circuit?

Last edited:
However, the gap is a loss in high-quality Finemet (nanocrystalline) cores. In this case, there is no need to use a wire 150 times more expensive than a copper wire if the losses in the magnetic circuit are again increased.

Air gaps cause loss of permeability in any core material.
Nevertheless, there are audible differences between comparable air gapped transformers wound on different core materials.
Some prefer silicon steel over amorphous and v.v.
Finemet is different again.
Much can be declared physically; in the end subjective preferences prevail....it's audio ;)

What is the true worth and effectiveness of an amorphous closed toroidal magnetic circuit?

Less than a Finemet closed toroidal magnet circuit.
Do you want me to give you a link to prove?

Air gaps cause loss of permeability in any core material.
Nevertheless, there are audible differences between comparable air gapped transformers wound on different core materials.
Some prefer silicon steel over amorphous and v.v.
Finemet is different again.
Much can be declared physically; in the end subjective preferences prevail....it's audio ;)
Even in the audio, the laws of physics apply. And these are not Santa Claus tales or any mysticism. The fact that the transformers operate on alternating current, rather than on a constant one, is the basis of the low internal resistance of the transformer on an amorphous alloy as a voltage source. Therefore it is useless to simply think about the resistance and losses in the wires without thinking about the losses in the magnetic circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.