Amidon T200-2 core suitability for 1kWrms?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
mzzj: kiitti/thanks for the link to the Micrometals design software, the user interface is horrible but otherwise it's quite usable, T200-2 was one of the "ok" cores it listed when I plugged in the numbers.

How about using gapped ferrite?
Or is MPP/Sendust/hi-flux too expensive ?

Gapped or those others, umm, theoretically yes right away!, except - where can you get them at <20 pieces per order and off the shelf (i.e. not custom design). I know only Muuntosähkö / www.Trafox.fi around here in Finland that is willing to sell ferrite components for non-corporate customers, but they have a minimum order and the stuff gets quite expensive for gapped. I was and am going for Txxx-2 etc since the local Suomen Radioamatööritarvike has them. They also have ferrites but they're mainly low power and for radio amateur RF works. Places like RS, Farnell, Mouser, just totally suck at anything even remotely magnetic and >1W.

hmm, Mzzj would you know any other places that sell ferrite around here for "hobbyists"?

Genomerics: your air gap calculation looks deceptively simple... there's probably a bug somewhere ;-) Inductance depends on air gap size, and most field energy is stored in the air gap so I'd think one would start the calcs from the max energy (which however depends on inductance also, so this is an iterative mess..?). IIRC there's also a chapter on this in Abraham Pressmans book. I've never bothered to calculate these, it just makes your head hurt :dead: IMHO it's simpler to slap on the minimum number of turns, then pull apart core halves by what looks "ok" and put paper or teflon sheet or whatever in between, then check the inductance and add more turns if necessary, and test the whole thing, and if it works fine, just copy the design. :D

wrenchone: there were some Micrometals charts about (unless I misinterpreted them) core detoriation, at my specs apparently well above 100k hours of use before core goes exponential. Good to know about Micrometals' sample policy, maybe we'll try. The entire project has been heavily employing samples anyway... :)

jwagnerhki said:
mzzj: kiitti/thanks for the link to the Micrometals design software, the user interface is horrible but otherwise it's quite usable, T200-2 was one of the "ok" cores it listed when I plugged in the numbers.

Gapped or those others, umm, theoretically yes right away!, except - where can you get them at <20 pieces per order and off the shelf (i.e. not custom design). I know only Muuntosähkö / www.Trafox.fi around here in Finland that is willing to sell ferrite components for non-corporate customers, but they have a minimum order and the stuff gets quite expensive for gapped. I was and am going for Txxx-2 etc since the local Suomen Radioamatööritarvike has them. They also have ferrites but they're mainly low power and for radio amateur RF works. Places like RS, Farnell, Mouser, just totally suck at anything even remotely magnetic and >1W.

hmm, Mzzj would you know any other places that sell ferrite around here for "hobbyists"?
For MPP and other hi-performance materials only place that I am aware is http://www.cwsbytemark.com/mainpage_B.php

Even Farnell and Elfa should have ferrite cores. yeah, Farnell have ETD cores up to 59mm size and Elfa have ETD cores up to 49. ETD59 should go long way over 1W :D

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
And.... finally managed to extract my head and add a couple of pages to the inductor design section.

Inductors

These two look at calculating the gap both without and with fringing effects. There is a model and method for working stuff out from data supplied from the manufacturer.

I won't claim it's 100% and I haven't tested it out extensively but hopefully it makes sense.

There may be more to come.....

Cheers

DNA

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Next page on inductors is up.....

Having 'designed' one ignoring some things this one looks at what the losses and temperature rise might be when the ignored things are included.

Silly thing is, having designed for a 30C temperature rise the sums say it is 35C.

Mind you, buyer beware!!!!!

I'm not saying it's wrong but, I was surprised.

Thermal Stuff

Cheers

DNA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.