Altec Lansing

Greets!

Unless the horn was specifically designed for a very low output impedance amp, yes. Indeed, since a proper compression horn is little more than acoustic resistor with a ~flat electrical impedance in its passband, it benefits most of all from an impedance matching amp.

GM

Greets!

You're welcome!

Sorry, but it doesn't, the M19 has a considerably larger net volume (Vb) and is tuned lower. In the M19, it will have a 'tighter' sound with a more/extended bottom end with the trade-off being less mid-bass 'thump'. Even the 620 has less net Vb, though still a much better choice IMO and if it's too tall, then change the dims as required to preserve the net Vb and rotate the slot vent to horizontal if required. For instance: 29.96" H x 25.5" W x 20.38" D with the driver down 15.5" and vent below it at least a 2".

GM

Greets!

The M19 is right at 9.427333209 ft^3 tuned to ~35 Hz, so how tall you want it would determine the width, depth. Note that to tune it to ~Fs requires a ~3.5" diameter x 2" long vent.

Anyway, it's probably too small and how much output impedance your amp has will determine how much over-sized it needs to be to tune it down around Fs, so if you don't know it, then all I can recommend is a cab size guaranteed to be big enough to allow some tuning flexibility and then you may need to adjust tuning for best performance in-room:

H = 46"
W = 33"
D = 24"
zdriver = 15.5"
zport = 40"
port = 6" diameter x 0.75" baffle thickness or 3" x 9.43" if rectangular

All dims are inside (i.d.) and recommend covering the top, one side and rear with 1" acoustic fiberglass down at least half way and add more down lower as required. Note the sim assumes a typical SET's ~2.5 ohms output impedance on the 8 ohm tap.

GM

Attachments

• altec 416-8a in 20 ft^3 mltl (barossi) - 2.5 ohms.gif
    altec 416-8a in 20 ft^3 mltl (barossi) - 2.5 ohms.gif
    6.7 KB · Views: 902
Hi GM,

thanks for your reply! I am very happy that my 416's will have a nice "working area" soon :D

But i have some questions:

You wrote, that the Model 19 has an internal volume of ~9.427 ft^3. You also wrote in your posting, that you recommend a enclosure of H=46"; W=23"; D=24" (dims are inside).

This means a enclosure with more than double the size ~21ft^3:confused:

Then you wrote about the port:

port = 6" diameter x 0.75"

What happens to the lenghts , if i will use a "standart" port with: Outside diameter 5.25" or so ....like this:

Port

Yes, i will use a Single Ended 300B or 2A3 or my buddy 45. I would guess that the output impedance of these amps is ~2-4 Ohms. (damping factor 2-4 with a 8Ohm speaker)

Kind Regards

Barossi

Greets!

You're welcome!

Correct, after deducting out the space required for bracing and the driver it's ~20 ft^3 net. It takes a big cab to go low with a large, short vent like the 416 requires when driven with enough series resistance or low DF amp to raise its effective Qes, Qts a high percentage. If you don't use a large enough cab it will sound 'bloated'/'flabby'/'muddy' like any other under-damped alignment.

The vent's 2" internal diameter is way too small to tune a big cab to a low Fb, so you'll need at least seven of them/cab to meet the 3" minimum length for one flare and ten/cab to use both flares, so that's a lot of holes to cut/$$ to me when I can just cut just one big hole. With this many vents though, you could 'ring' the driver with them like Thuras did for his original reflex cab patent, which BTW was what the Jensen/Onken alignments are based on: http://www.google.com/patents?id=MS1bAAAAEBAJ&pg=PP1&dq=1869178

GM

Hi GM,

thanks a lot for your help!

Ohh 20ft^3 is really huge but i think i could handle such big enclosures in my listening room if the result will blow me away!

...infinity baffle!? :confused:

I thought about round ports, because it will be much more easier to tune the "system". If i cut out a "hole" 3" x 9.43" i could not tune the system easy! :bawling:

Yes, smaller enclosures might sóund boomy, BUT the effeciency in the mid bass is probably higher!?

The W = 33" is this your recommendation? I would like to build the enclosures more deeper, let's say D~30"-40"

Kind Regards

Barossi

Greets!

You're welcome!

Well, I don't know if it will 'blow you away' since I don't know your 'frame of reference', but by most folk's definition it will, especially if pushed into the corners, though of course you won't get the lower mids 'impact' of an A7 or other horn loading this low, just 'clean'/'tight'/'accurate' bass, or as much as it can be when driven with low power SET amps. Basically like having a large sealed alignment except with more gain.

Infinite baffle (IB) is an acoustically large sealed cab and for the 416-8A needs to be at least 75 ft^3 and will run out of linear excursion below ~40 Hz at low power, so the room will need to load it up this high to maintain a low driver distortion.

Anyway, if you decide you're willing to trade some of the big vented cab's deep LF for the mid-bass 'presence' (acoustic efficiency) of the 612, then tuning it higher will give it to you and often the compromise chosen when mated to a horn and/or if EQ isn't considered an option.

As for tuning reflex vents, I always made a removable vent baffle since during the time I was building I didn't have any ~accurate way to calc the correct size, especially since they always performed better in-room when tuned individually, almost always winding up each being tuned to a different frequency.

As a general rule: up to ~30", wider is always better than deeper since the former shifts the baffle step lower while the latter shifts it higher, possibly requiring some other form of EQ to balance it out, so as always the choice of trade-offs is yours.

GM

Attachments

• gm altec 'subs'1.jpg
    gm altec 'subs'1.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 938