Altec Lansing Voice of the Theatre

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How many Altec Lansing V.O.T.T. fans we got here?
What kind of stuff do you have and are you happy with it?

This modified A2 system should be up and running in a few
months. It's been awhile............but it will should sound
much better than it ever did. Time will tell.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: Altec what ?

RacerXtreme said:
Hey Choky:

What does that link have to do with Altec Lansing
Voice of the Theatre stuff?

first-that link is illustration of nature of my "ugly" comment;

second -if you ,or any else ,can't see link with Altec Voice Of the Theater ,I can't help him;

Voice of the Theater is more than one or few different models of loudspeakers made by one manufacturer;

this is in fact way of thinking in engineer field,resulting in many different products from several factories,offten showing astounding similarities,if not sort of industrial espionage ;)

in middle of that page ,you can see picture of Iskra made cinema box for Alnico 12" Iskra low driver,and on top of it Altec's 811B horn wit matching Altec driver........

I saw more than one in my life,along with Westrex 800 or 1KHz xover;
also-some of boxes were original Westrex (or "just " Altec,with Altec bass.....

anyway-enjoy in yours nice VOT specimens......

vott

Quote: "first-that link is illustration of nature of my "ugly" comment;

second -if you ,or any else ,can't see link with Altec Voice Of the Theater ,I can't help him;

Voice of the Theater is more than one or few different models of loudspeakers made by one manufacturer;"

First, sorry........just don't get the ugly comment - why you made it or what you're talking about.

Second, When you said : "if you ,or any else ,can't see link with Altec Voice Of the Theater ,I can't help him"......... In this country we would say "anyone" else...................and at the end of the sentence, one might use the word "them" instead of "him".

Third, while "Voice of the Theatre" may refer to "more than one or few different models of loudspeakers made by one manufacturer" ............as you can see in the title of the post, I was specifically referring to Altec Lansing Voice of the Theatre speakers. We're under the "Loudspeakers" category right?

What country do you live in dude? :smash:

P.S. Sorry I missed the "Altec's 811B horn wit matching Altec driver"......... At first glance, there didn't seem to be much Altec VOTT speaker related equipment in the link. I probably passed over it pretty quick and missed the 811B horn. My mistake......:hot:

I know a bloke who's a real Quadraphonic fiend (like I am, believe it or not, though I don't often mention it here as the subject rarely comes up: there were some STUNNING Quad recordings) And yep, you've guessed it. he's got four of these monsters. His wife isn't too pleased, but she indulges him... not sure what sort of incentive he provided though!!!

Cheers
Scott

I do repair commercial systems and I usually end up running into a Voice OF THE ThEATRE system at least once a year so I always stock drivers in the company van for such an occasion.

I probably have all the engineering notes on these over the years. Several years ago I had to pass on a set of them for $500 and I have been kicking myself ever since.

Yes, a fan.

Engineering notes???

You don't have any Engineering notes on the 3 woofer 310 cabinet do you? Two 310's = a 610 if I'm correct. The cabinets were actually a bit larger than the 210 boxes. I've been trying to find one that's survived from the 1940's but after talking with some of the most knowledgeable people I can find w/ regard to Altec equipment, I'm not so sure that any of the 3 - woofer cabinets survived. What kind of notes do you have on the big
VOTT stuff ? Is it something that's not available on a site like
voiceofthetheater.com ?

I rarely get to the Altec Lansing site since its been brought back to life. I don't think I have anything going all the way back into the 40's but I will check. It will take some time to go threw the notebooks of engineering changes, notes, designs, modifications and stuff so be patient I will look.

Its amazing that some of the old theatres still have and use the old Altec amplifiers and speaker systems.

If it ain't broke... (complete well known phrase)

'Progress.' In the UK, we have Multiplex cinemas now. 90% of the screens are not a great deal larger than a rich-person can get at home, with a projector. The old cinemas still mostly had monster Cinemascope screens. The new buildings have large banks of multi-channel speakers. The drive-units are so poor they buzz, whenever the volume is cranked up, so you can't understand a thing. And naturally, the volume is cranked up to deafening levels nowadays, for who knows what reason? The old buildings mostly only had 2 channel sound. The drive units were smoother, quicker, cleaner and I never heard a buzz or a cone bottom out. Ever. And this isn't rose tinted spectecles either -I was in an old cinema a couple of weeks ago that closed down yesterday (I may cry). It was the last independent in the area, that I know of anyway. I walked out shaking my head and asking: why have we thrown all this stuff away?

Lest you think I'm a Grumpy Old Man, I had my 27th birthday last September. So, I'm a Grumpy Young one.

Best
Scott

RacerXtreme,
Second, When you said : "if you ,or any else ,can't see link with Altec Voice Of the Theater ,I can't help him"......... In this country we would say "anyone" else...................and at the end of the sentence, one might use the word "them" instead of "him".
This is probably first time on this forum I see somebody is making
his argument over somebody's grammatical errors. Pretty pathetic.
Or maybe You think everybody should know Your language and if not
it is not worthy of conversation?

Jezz-the-Fezz,
Look to your left dude - I've got a 1995 tourist guide to Yugoslavia; if I rip all the pages out it'll probably be up to date...

Your comment is more than inappropriate. You should be sin-bined for this.
Or maybe I should keep my mouth shut, You might bomb Canada too?
Regards.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.