ALTEC A-7 cabinets built like ****!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tom's System

I heard Tom's system as shown in the pictures and the sound was great - a real treat. Warn tone and full-bodied. The JBL 4648 bass bins provided the low end grunt, but the midbass and mids were excellent. This was the same system I mentioned earlier.

I didn't catch the 288's/multicells Tom later added to the system, but I heard no major faults with the Edgar wood bowls/JBL comp driver combo.

Tim

More hijacking:

Horns and drivers on the way. :smash:

They will have to send the 1803 horns in their own box and a third for the drivers, waveguides and XO's

The horns weigh in at 57 lbs each and the drivers with waveguides are 23 lbs each. I have asked that they send them USPS air mail not UPS for better rates and service.

Two or three weeks from now... :xfingers:

Not to worry.
I not be pushed oot.

Cal, suggest you might want to do some serious looking at the "native" response of the 288 series. Non-flat. The standard EQ schemes are not sucessful imho.

Regardless, try turning the horns 90 degrees!
They will image WAY better, unless ur in a really big room/outside where you absolutely get no wall reflections and need HF energy outside the width of the speakers. Just my strange experimentations and observations here. And yes, the 1803 is likely to actually make it flat to ~250Hz. with the proper drivers installed. Nice.

I am using 1003s right now... almost as many cells as the 1803! ;)

I find that the lower you can run the horn, the more betterer it be.
Again, just my observations.

Procrastinating on finishing off the A-7 project... getting annoying in all the work needed to finish all the little, simple stuff. I can visualize it in minutes. Hours to do it. Ah well. Just $10k$ A-7s, yeah right.

_-_-bear

bear said:
Not to worry.
I not be pushed oot.

Ya, it's hard to wrestle with a bear. Last time I tried, I used whiskey as a driving force and ended up up on the far side of a fence picking blackberry thorns from my nether regions.

Cal, suggest you might want to do some serious looking at the "native" response of the 288 series. Non-flat. The standard EQ schemes are not sucessful imho. [/B]

I am hoping these help somewhat. (see pic) I can go from there.

Regardless, try turning the horns 90 degrees! [/B]

Don't worry, I'll be able to see them from all angles as I walk around. I don't live in a big enough house for these to be an inside pet. They will be singing in the breeze only.

I am using 1003s right now... almost as many cells as the 1803! ;) [/B]

I agree. Mind you, I was nevr was good at math. Or speling for that mater.

I find that the lower you can run the horn, the more betterer it be.
Again, just my observations. [/B]

Betterer is one of my favourite words. Right next to bestest.

Procrastinating on finishing off the A-7 project... getting annoying in all the work needed to finish all the little, simple stuff. I can visualize it in minutes. Hours to do it. Ah well. Just $10k$ A-7s, yeah right. [/B]

I'd buy them. Just knowing what you've done would be worth a lot more than what you could charge. It may be a pain in the *** but it's really about how you and the owner perceive the final product.

Speaking of which, where are the progress pics Mr. Bear? Can't think of another project that garners as much interest for me. I'm sure others would be interested in your toils.

Attachments

• 100_2563 copy.jpg
    100_2563 copy.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 199
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.