altec 807-8z

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: difference?

AudioGeek said:
sooo whats the diff between Valencia and the model 19?

The Model Nineteen has more extended bass and highs than the Valencia. The deeper bass on account of the larger
box and the more extended highs because of the EQ in the crossover and a refined compression driver.

The Nineteen has a higher crossover point too, 1200hz rather than 800hz. The goal was to match the directivity of the woofer and horn at the crossover point, thus better imaging. And the Nineteens image very well.

I also suspect that an unmentioned goal of the higher crossover was lower distortion in the compression driver now that the highs were more extended.

Many experienced Altec fans consider the Nineteen the best all-in-one box, turnkey speaker that Altec made. I do.

Yes the 416-8C the ferite version of the alnico. The later models of the 19 were produced with this model. The owners were very satisfied ;aparently there is no difference.

I heard the 19 model in a demo room conected to Mcintosh tube
amps. Very impressive . So were the Altec A-5 present and the
Stnehenge (DUPLEX).

My 02 cents worth.

The JBL and Ev are overhung voice coil. Not recommended for home use. Requires a lot of power to get same SPL as 416-8B

The JBL quality drivers can be found at JBL pro.com.

THe model used in the K2 is well perceived in Japan.

Yes it requires at least an amp that will drive 1200 watts into each speaker. If you want to spend that kind of money go ahead.

One more point it's classified as a touring speaker.

If you only have a 200 watt amp you will damage your speaker.

Please read the following article by JBL on underpower amps.

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/technote/lowpower.pdf

If you want HI FI go with the 604 8HII By ALtec

http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/downloads/604_8H_II.pdf

iF YOU need plans for cabinets . I have some .

My 02 cents worth

CONVERGENCE said:
Yes it requires at least an amp that will drive 1200 watts into each speaker. If you want to spend that kind of money go ahead.

One more point it's classified as a touring speaker.

If you only have a 200 watt amp you will damage your speaker.

Please read the following article by JBL on underpower amps.

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/technote/lowpower.pdf

416-8B = 97 db (in 612C enclosure), 1W, 4 ft

JBL 2226H = 97 db, 1W, 3.3ft

Looks like JBL is just slightly less efficient than 416-8B. But even so, it can produce 112 db with 32 watts of amplification at 3.3 ft. (doubling of amplification = 3 db increase). Based on what I am aware of, 112 db at 3.3 ft. is pretty darn good peak volume for a typical home use. And if the amp happens to be, say 50 watts or higher, I don’t think the user would have to worry about clipping.

The JBL 2226 works fine as a home hi-fi woofer; I've used it and so have several pals. It's quite efficient and will work as well as most other woofers with low powered amps.

I prefer the sound of 416s and 515s to that of the 2226 but that's personal preference not a matter of quality. And I think the 2226 does sound VERY good.

If the 416-8B is rated at 150 watt as is the case with the new
GPA model.

Speaker Altec 416 97DB 1W/M
Speaker JBL 2226 H 97DB 1W/M

We know that sound level increases by 3DB each time the power doubles.

2W=3DB,4W=6DB,8DB=9DB,16W=12DB,32W=15DB,64W=10DB
128W=21DB,256W=24DB,512W=27DB.

THe Altec speaker 97DB+21DB = 118 DB with 128 watt amp
The JBL speaker 97DB+27DB = 124 DB with 512 watt amp

You judge for yourself according to the use of your speaker.

CONVERGENCE said:
If the 416-8B is rated at 150 watt as is the case with the new
GPA model.

Speaker Altec 416 97DB 1W/M
Speaker JBL 2226 H 97DB 1W/M

We know that sound level increases by 3DB each time the power doubles.

2W=3DB,4W=6DB,8DB=9DB,16W=12DB,32W=15DB,64W=10DB
128W=21DB,256W=24DB,512W=27DB.

THe Altec speaker 97DB+21DB = 118 DB with 128 watt amp
The JBL speaker 97DB+27DB = 124 DB with 512 watt amp

You judge for yourself according to the use of your speaker.
I’m not sure if anybody really wants to blast over 110 db at home. It’s bad for one’s own hearing. :dead:

As far as I know, JBL 2226 H is easier to get than Altec 416-8B w/ Alnico magnet (went out of production? :bawling: ).

Just thought I would let you know that brand new 416 are available through GPA EBAY for about 300$.

http://stores.ebay.com/Great-Plains-Audio

Attachments

• altec 416 8c.jpg
    altec 416 8c.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 109
Re: hey how about...

AudioGeek said:

There was a thread earlier this year about potential Altec substitutes and this driver got a good review, though IIRC he's planning to order some new GPA drivers to replace them, so as always YMMV: http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3729&t=2673

Frankly, the only drivers I would consider in lieu of GPA's are all considerably more expensive.

well a little update.

the diaphragms in the horns are the Symbiotik ones. should i upgrade these and do i need to modify the horns?

also, GPA has those 416-8c for 240 ea.

finally,

anyone tried these speakers with class D amps, tubes or SS?

just wondering which works best?

thinking of a battery powered class D.

Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.