Altec 19

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wow!! I'd heard about some hefty price increases, but this is ridiculous!

I'd done a number of inflation adjusted prices against mine and others personal purchases over time, which were relatively high at the time and GPA's were very close, some literally within pennies of what I paid at a supposedly distributor cost, so seemed a very fair pricing structure, but apparently not enough to stay in business, much less 'grow' it.

Factor in that they allegedly don't want to do at least some vintage re-cones since they don't have the right parts or none at all according to one person and it appears that the new pardners [owners?] might just be using GPA as a tax write off; that or the Asian market is even more 'robust' than I thought.

Oh well, since they can't accurately restore my 515Bs if damaged, it's all moot for me except possibly for replacement 800/900 diaphragms, though shudder to think what they've increased to from the ~$90/ea. [delivered] I paid a few years ago.

GM

edit: note I've done no AlNiCo driver price comparisons since all my purchases were before the huge price hikes, so curious what GPA's 416-8C, which AFAIK is the same as was used on later M19s are now priced at.

Last edited:
Well... that's a good question.. and I had called Bill at Great Plains audio... as for now... the 416-8C is not available...

that's what I had used in my other Altec 19 projects..(416-8C) and maybe there are differences in the 416 B and 416C.. but I loved the 416-8C..

I never got tired of listening to them !

Our 2 sets of 19s I am finishing will uses the 416-8B.. and that's because I found a used set of Altec 416-16B and had them reconed at GPA.. to 416-8B and Ed.. the guy I am building his set.. found a set of GPA 416-8B that were only used for testing and are as new...

I had 4 other customers for builds of Altec 19s... and had already paid down to have the cabinets built.. and when I had called GPA to get prices on the componets.. I freeked out.... so I had to cancel everything... return all the money..

and go vomit !

but ED found his GPA 416-8Bs.. and I had found a set of 416-8C s which turned out to be garbage,, and I had to go down and put in another order for cabinets.. which put the completion date back almost 6 weeks...

but around JULY 15th... They will be finished... and setting in my house !..

I know almost all of you don't think you can use real solid hardwood...

but my other sets looked and sounds nice !..and for all the ones I had built and sold... I have not seen 1 customer want to sell them... its been 3 years.. The fronts and back are marine grade plywood.. so they stay stable.. and the way they are put together they will be here long after I am gone...

that's why I am not building any more... I can build the crossovers.. I can get the 811B horns... but finding any woofers that are good or at a reasonable price is almost 0...

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I was just planning on building myself a model 19. This is not so great news.
I've heard one recently and I loved it. I was so excited to build one for myself.

Anyways, did Bill at great plains say why the 416 8c aren't available anymore? Will they be producing them again?

Does the original altec 19 use alnico magnets on the woofer and compression drivers?

Replacement parts

Hi.. well

all is not lost.....if your willing to search for all the parts.. it still can be done..

1st.. Altec used alnico magnets in both drivers..

but they switched to ceramic magnets on the 416 driver in their later models.. I think both work the same.. and I cant tell the difference..

I think as of this time you can still get either a 802-8G or a 902-8A horn driver from GPA... and i'm not sure of the crossover that they were making for the Model 19... but I Know where to obtain all the correct parts..and I have built my own crossovers..

I have 2 left over 416-8C woofers that probably work... they don't look so good.. I think they need reconed..I would have had them reconed but I had found a set of 416-8B drivers and just bought those and to have them reconed anyway..and didn't want to pay for repairing the ones I was not going to use...

GPA reconed my 416-8Bs and the are as new.

The reason I have not sold the 416-8C drivers is I was going to use them to test fit and mark the holes in my new cabinets..that way its not possible to damage my new speakers..

I am going to sell the 416-8C speakers.. and they prob need to be reconed.. If your interested let me know.. I could even send them to GPA so you save the cost of shipping after I ship to you...

if it were me... I would not use them as they are.. and they might work... but I like everything to be perfect !

and the 902-8A compression driver from GPA works PERFECT and I think that they cost me 220.00 each..

any help I can give even if you don't want the 416-8C speakers.. I am willing to help you.. I know all the correct parts.. size of the correct magnets for the grills.... here is a photo one of the completed sets I built and sold.

Just don't give up.. I have the building plans.. and all the secrets to making them look and work perfect !

Attachments

• SAM_1338.jpg
    SAM_1338.jpg
    711.4 KB · Views: 381
  • SAM_1312.jpg
    SAM_1312.jpg
    546.2 KB · Views: 384
  • SAM_1352.jpg
    SAM_1352.jpg
    542.4 KB · Views: 383
  • SAM_1208.jpg
    SAM_1208.jpg
    930.2 KB · Views: 408
  • SAM_1341.jpg
    SAM_1341.jpg
    776.7 KB · Views: 381
Last edited:
Dandee-

Are these the same speakers and Amish shop that you mentioned when you first started this thread? Why did you decide to build four instead of two? Are the cabinets still your original configuration with 3/8" BB and 3/8" solid wood?

I finished my Altec build a few months ago. I built 6.5 cu ft corner cabinets (minimum 1.5" thick MDF, mahogany veneered) loaded with 416-8Z alnico woofers (B-style frames), 511B horns, 802D drivers, and Beyma CP21F super tweeters. The bass response is remarkable, and similar to the description you posted of your temporary cabinets. The F3 is 42Hz.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Anyway, I just found your thread today, so I'll be watching your progress. Your Model Nineteens should turn out great.

GeeDeeEmm

I'm surprised no one has mentioned those brutally looking horizontal seams on the horns...That would be the first things I'd "work on"...some epoxy, careful polishing...lots of time getting those seams, invisible.

-------------------------------------------------------------------Rick.........

I built 1 set of Oak cabinets for a guy in NY.. an delivering on Sunday morning.
My solid wood Cherry cabinets sound Great. and they look awesome in person. !..I Built my own crossovers for the Altec
19 per the specks. and am using a 416-8B and a 902-8A compression driver.

Last edited:
FINISHED Altec Lansing Model 19 Clone.

finished Altec 19 Solid cherry speakers...
The last 3 photos.. you can see the finish on the Solid Cherry cabinets
and the fit of the grills..

They sound GREAT !

Attachments

• SAM_2030.jpg
    SAM_2030.jpg
    571.4 KB · Views: 182
  • SAM_2042.jpg
    SAM_2042.jpg
    536.1 KB · Views: 220
  • SAM_2016.jpg
    SAM_2016.jpg
    605.1 KB · Views: 186
  • SAM_1951.jpg
    SAM_1951.jpg
    663.1 KB · Views: 169
  • SAM_1952.jpg
    SAM_1952.jpg
    646.1 KB · Views: 170
  • SAM_1983.jpg
    SAM_1983.jpg
    668.5 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
As with almost every project... it took lots of planning and lots of calculating..
lots of my time was spend looking for the right speaker connectors and the correct magnets,, grill cloth ,,, finding all the crossover components.. then as I had said before,,,I built the crossovers... This project was on the drawing board in March... but it took all the way to AUG 1 to finally get them complete !... The correct Drivers are getting very hard to find..... so this is my last speaker build of the Model 19s...

BUT.. NOW.. I want a 5W or what ever I can afford to built SET amp.. so on to another project!..... Its always worth it in the end when its complete and you can
sit and enjoy all the hours of work..... Danny...….

Tubelab SSE with EL34's.

George Anderson (Andersen?(When you live in a state with so many Nordic people it's a constant question)) has a page here.

George is one of the best supporters to the tubes/valves section of this site. If you run into any roadblocks, you'll have tons of help from him or the other forum supporters.

You can also visit his webpage at tubelab.com

That page was made possible by many of the diy folks here, after he lost his hosting; it just goes to show how much people care for his prolific work.

His boards are easy to build with great build guides as a huge plus. I've been running my SSE for close to a decade. I've had a couple meltdowns due to bad tubes, but the board survived to live onto this day thanks to it's excellent construction.

-Phil

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.