altec 1590E input questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well you have forced me to dig up my schematic and manual.
DJK is 100% correct as these amps were designed to work off a battery supply in the event of a power failure. It states in the specifications Quote:
The 1590E is capable of operation from a negative grounded 24/28 v DC source.

Now to be perfectly clear these amplifiers were designed for fire protective and signaling systems and commercial audio systems. They are nothing in the way of good audio just a work horse designed to do a specific job.

They will drive a 25volt leg with a speaker impedance of 4.5 ohms. Speaker connections are as follows 5&7

Strap 4 to 5, 6 to 7.

Now.... I certainly do not recommend driving a 4.5 ohm load straight off the amp as it was designed to work with speakers having a step down transformer on them. It will probably work however.

With regard to modifications on this amp....hey its junk certainly not audiophile quality and certainly not worth putting a lot of money in it.

I'm certain that DJK has in mind to junk the circuit and use the heatsinking with a driver circuit of his design.

Mr. Bear

The only possible parts of interest in any 1590 series would be the T101 transformer and the output transformer. Now if you want to send me a PM with what you are looking for then maybe I can help you. Oh, there are several good transistors in the circuit AL2712 which I believe are also used in the 9440 power amp.

Last edited:
burned but alive

thanks man terrific stuff.yes i would love to have a real amp like i did back home 2 gfa555 adcoms an adcom 500 pre amp and a whole slew of jbl klipsh polk and cerwin vega speakers .but theres really very little stuff here in cancun to buy, hi fi wise. as i said i will try using them in an subwoofer application .as far as the other amps go .when are you coming to cancun..........thanks again

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.