Already have a prebought sub/box/amp can I mod it for deeper bass?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hearing

BassAwdyO said:
how have you tested your hearing cal?

Back in the days before PC's, I went to the Speaker Factory here in town and they used a "noise generator". I can't tell you anything more about it other than that's what it was called. I was not able to hear 30 Hz. I was able to hear 35. Below that the sensation was physical, ie: I felt it.

mwmkravchenko said:
The opinions on how low you can hear are nothing short of ludicrous.

What a nice way of saying "only my opinion counts"

And can attest to hearing all the way down to 16hz. [/B]

You do indeed have exceptional hearing. Better than most every other human on the planet.

Most people have never been next to a system or an instrument that can reproduce these frequencies with enough clarity and authority to have ever heard them. To them they don't exist. I believe you fall into the latter group. [/B]

It is not as though I lack experience around the types of instruments and systems of which you speak, it's a matter of not being able to hear anything near 16 Hz. It will take more than a post on a forum to convince me that anyone can "hear" that low. If this is indeed true, you are a very lucky individual.

Or perhaps I am as I don't require that kind of depth to my bass as I simply can't hear it.

Cal

I have no intention to insult Cal

Cal if you feel insulted I apologise.

I meant no insult.

Just in a grouchy mood today. I can and do hear all the way down to 16 hz. My ears are strange that way. Comes from a bit of fluid that is allways present in my eustation tubes. You should be beside a bus when it takes off. It makes me dizzy!

You guys all talk about the difference between fundamental and harmonics. THe point is very true. Some instruments work at fooling us into thinking that there are low notes being heard. SOme loud speakers ( actually the majority ) do the same thing.

People usually loose their hearing at the high end and then the low end. If you have a deformation of the inner ear you can get the same thing. I have a buddy that has a congenital deformation of the inner ear and he still hears the bass! If you cannot I truly feel sorry for you. The low end is the fun and foundation of almost all music.

" But how exactly do you prove that you are hearing a pure tone at 16 Hz and not harmonics"

I don't need to prove that there are many acoustical studies of instruments to look up. For a point of reference an open C at the 32 foot pitch is usually around 17.6 hz at the fundamental. And yes there are harmonics.

Mark

I'd also like to add a bit myself...

Looking at the fletcher-munson curves of equal loudness (or the thresholds of hearing) you will see that the threshold for 30hz even is fairly high. It only gets higher as you get closer to 20hz and although most of the graphs only show down to 20hz I'm fairly certian that they extend past at a similar slope.

Cal, I think you can hear 30hz.... you just need to listen to Misfits by Third Eye Blind on my system!

when I tested my hearing using the sine wave generator on WinISD I did go down to even 10hz(the lowest tuning of my sub, it has a few different ports and removable panels that cover them)

When I got below 24hz I could hear two things... The rattling of various things in the house, and a sound that I couldnt recognize as any particular tone, but could easily recognize as an extremely low pitch. It sounded the same at 20hz as it did at 16hz or 10hz just different things rattled and I had to increase the volume to "hear" it as the frequency got lower. That might be due to the ~6db/octave(anechoic) rolloff of my sub from 30-10hz but I would think that there would be a bit of room gain down there. It might have been those fletcher-munson curves! Again, there was no recognizable tone to it, but there was a sound... a pretty spooky one at that!

mwmkravchenko said:
eustation tubes.

The heart of my problem. They begin to collapse or contract when I am tired or when I've had a couple. The later in the day, the less bass I hear. Hearing 20 Hz is just a dream for me.

BassAwdyO said:
Cal, I think you can hear 30hz....

I wish you were correct but I have a feeling that were I tested again, the result would be the same. Mind you, it doesn't stop me from feeling the music, I just can't hear it.

Cal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.