Alps Blue Velvet Replacement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
John Hi

I guess Parts Connexion would say it's better - wouldn't they ?;)
They'll make more money.

There is the law of diminishing returns to consider with the level your moving up to and any further investment may not get you much further up the pole sonically anyway.
Hey, how far can we go with this component in the grand scheme of things.
It isn't like changing speakers that have there own voice and character.

Oh..I had a Noble too, like progressOr mentions, it was good and better than the Alps Blue also.

However you've just jettisoned yourself vertically in every respect John.
When are you expecting it to arrive and are you prepared :)

Andrew

Hmm, that Goldpoint Mini-V looks like a nice unit, but it's too bad they don't know what "TCR" means. They keep quoting it as a noise spec, as in "[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]...thermal noise specification (TCR) of 25 PPM or 50 PPM". But TCR is the thermal coefficient of resistance, that is, how much resistance changes as a function of temperature. It has nothing to do with noise. Noise is usually specified (when it is spec'ed at all) in uV/V. And what is the TCR of the resistors they are using, 25 or 50 ppm/C?

I'm sure it's an excellent unit anyway, and 25ppm/C is a pretty low TCR, but it just bothers me that they don't know what they are talking about.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Wow - thanks for the lesson :)

Maybe they don't know what they are talking about but they also know .... that I probably don't know what they are talking about too.
They make it look nice and technical so I fall for it - well, I did and was pretty glad too at the time.

It is good

Andrew

Andrew, I will probably receive the unit tomorrow, Friday or early next week. However, I have to finish all the other work on the pre, first. I will definitely keep you posted.

Nezbleu, thanks for the heads up and actually this is good news for me, as the goldpoint will be installed in a warmish/hot environment.

thanks,

John

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.