Alpair12P gen2 standmount speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks Toppsy! I'm sure your finished product will be just as beautiful as all your work (very:)).

I am going to make custom stands for mine to raise them to exactly the right height, as you mention. I'm not sure yet exactly what they are going to look like. I think I might like to have the jacks on the bottom of the cabinet so I can completely hide the speaker cable in the stand column.

I'd like to figure out the port dimensions for a 2" pipe so I don't have to order them from across the pond.

Thanks Toppsy! I'm sure your finished product will be just as beautiful as all your work (very:)).

I am going to make custom stands for mine to raise them to exactly the right height, as you mention. I'm not sure yet exactly what they are going to look like. I think I might like to have the jacks on the bottom of the cabinet so I can completely hide the speaker cable in the stand column.

How about Speak-on terminals on the bottom of the box for a tasty installation ? Route a channel or Laminate 3 layers of ply for the support leg with a removable strip, held in place with velcro, or magnets as in this recent bamboo sculpture for BudP

I'd like to figure out the port dimensions for a 2" pipe so I don't have to order them from across the pond.

Doesn't Dave have a formula /spreadsheet for that somewhere?

Colin: them's sure gonna be pretty when they're done

Attachments

• Bud's Bamboo 004.jpg
    Bud's Bamboo 004.jpg
    386.5 KB · Views: 409
OK guys you wanted photos of the finished speaker and pedestal, minus the driver, port tube and terminals. Note I have yet to cover the bases of the stands. I decided to finish the veneer in a clear satin acylic varnish and a final waxing with Liberon Neutral Black Bison polish. Gives them a nice sheen without being over glossy.

Not the best of photos as it's getting dark here in the UK and close up flash doesn't do anything to the photos. But hey I'll take better pics when they are fully done and in natural day light (no flash).

A12P11.JPG

A12P12.JPG

A12P13.JPG

Re bracing, i'm leaning toward one cross brace consisting of two 1.25" wooden dowels off centered on both x & y axis and about a third of the way down from the top of the box.

I plan on playing around with the port flair and tube shape, given less power compression with flared vs. straight, although to much flare would be counterproductive to that end.
I'd like to try a asymmetrical smaller radius flare or doughnut at the inlet/larger radius outlet.
Also interested in heating up the PVC tube and see if i can form a slight "hourglass" taper from the center the port tube outward toward the flared ends for lower noise/distortion. I'm sure i'll construct a few to try before settling on one.
I already have roundover bits for 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" radius curves, at the very least i'll get the one that'll do a 3/4" but really want the 1" radius -
Bosch 85433M 2-1/2" Roundover Bit, Carbide Tipped
Some good ideas on the following link:
Port Flares

That is the FINISHED look! 2-coats of satin acrylic varnish rubbed down betwwen coats and a final waxing rubbed in with fine wire wool and light buffing to back off some of the varnish sheen.

yah, even in the best of hands, the direct flash from a single camera mounted unit doesn't do justice to the depth / life of grain & finish on the fine veneers - nice work always Colin

Not sure on the vent. I think I'm just going to use 2" i.d. PVC pipe and just give it a minimal round over, like 1/8". I guess I'll need to figure out how to adjust the size though for the 55hz tuning though. I have a Mac so Win isn't usable for me:boggled:

I had a go in WinISD with this tuning. In a 16L BR box, your 2" pipe would be 3.375" long for a 55.5Hz tuning. 3.5" long would give you 54.8Hz, etc....

jeff

Thanks, i get completely OCD with that stuff to the point of stifling myself:\

I'm hoping to build in another week or two assuming my elbow's partially torn ligament improves enough by then. It's the simplest and least weight of current options so a good starting place.

Steven, as mentioned in your PM to me. This design is by Scott.
Scottmoose on this forum (and others).

I am not at liberty to give the design specs/paramaters of these speakers freely on the forum. The stands are my own design and not that difficult a task for anyone who can draw a couple of compound curves to get the shape they want. Just remember to make the centreline of the curved pedestal vertical and both shelves central to the speakers.

However, Scott is prepared to share if you, or anyelse contact him direct on a one-to-one basis.

Colin

when You emailed me asking for a copy of the plan for these stands in June of this year I politely refused, explaining that they were commercial copyright of Vitalstates Ltd. I'm really not sure what you are trying to say to me here but I can only assume that by ignoring my answer you are trying to antagonise me.

To take the design of another person, a commercial design, and promote it for home construction would appear to fly in the face of copyright ownership, and could possibly lead to loss of revenue for the copyright owner. To then claim the design to be yours causes me to respond thus.

In your first post you allude to me being flattered , well surely the resulting emotion is mine by right, and in this case I am offended.

hma - picture gallery

http://www.vitalstates.org/diy/misc/amon-4.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.