Alpair 7 Maop

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Mr.Chrisb,
Any update of Maop 7?
Thanks

Believe it or not, they're still opening up further (probably less than 300hrs yet)

The system has reverted to its daily mode of background, , powered by the Tubelab SimplePP, about 3 hrs a day. My wife has a very stressful job, and likes to relax with a range of what some folks might describe as "new-age / ambience" some of which has very interesting nature sounds- you know, chirping birds, waves on the beach, rain & thunder storms - some of those really catch you by surprise.

Hi Mr.Mark,
Please advice more infos of alpair 7 Maop.
Thanks

Hi HPH, Guys
Best wait for Chris's thinking. Hope he can say more soon(ish).

All current MAOP7 production (48 pairs) has been pre-ordered by Tokyo main dealers. Delivery to Japan will be end of this month. The Japan demand is pretty much 100% purist, particularly demanding of this type of driver. No thought of running these drivers in FAST et.al.

I'm happy to supply MAOP to most regions if enough members make demand for them. But you're looking at retails of around US$400 to US$450 per pair for MAOP7 as they are individually built/matched/tested and signed by Taniguchi san or Kitagowa san or Evan Yu. You'll know exactly who made your drivers, such artisan work doesn't come cheap and the cones cost a prince's ransom to produce.

Thanks
Mark.

Last edited:
Hi HPH, Guys
Best wait for Chris's thinking. Hope he can say more soon(ish).

All current MAOP7 production (48 pairs) has been pre-ordered by Tokyo main dealers. Delivery to Japan will be end of this month. The Japan demand is pretty much 100% purist, particularly demanding of this type of driver. No thought of running these drivers in FAST et.al.

I'm happy to supply MAOP to most regions if enough members make demand for them. But you're looking at retails of around US$400 to US$450 per pair for MAOP7 as they are individually built/matched/tested and signed by Taniguchi san or Kitagowa san or Evan Yu. You'll know exactly who made your drivers, such artisan work doesn't come cheap and the cones cost a prince's ransom to produce.

Thanks
Mark.

Sorry for not following up on this - I've been distracted with other things (funny how even a non emergency laden life can get in the way of your hobbies) .

After a couple of weeks in the upstairs space where they supplanted the EL70 Castle Microtowers (after 40 yrs of assorted nonsense, my wife's all time favorite), I moved them downstairs into the HT system. For now they're installed in a pair of mid sized Planet10 stand mounted trapezoid shaped monitors ( I just realized that while I'm probably not the only one to get confused by Dave's nomenclature, trying to describe them takes more effort than just saying dMarKen7.3T :D) -

squirrel (meaning, easily distracted, these days I am)

About the MAOP7s - hmm - so far I think I can say they have less personality than any full range driver I've heard in the past well over 10 years - which after a few years with various Fostex, I consider to be a very admirable trait.

A short digression - ("he just can't help himself")

I've mentioned elsewhere that much of the program material listened to in the upstairs space is web streamed and would be considered background / new age / ambience / mood / white noise by some (on some days myself included), and much of it is certainly designed to relax rather than excite.

I've come to the opinion that notwithstanding the maddening debates as to analog vs digital, resolution rates, blah, blah much of what is wrong with 99.9% of contemporary recordings of all popular genres is the artifice with which the material is processed before it ever gets to the point where the format / resolution rate matters. As there's probably a significantly smaller and less profitable market for the above mentioned class of music, it's my opinion that much of it is engineered with less time consumed in processing / effects. As a result some of the field recorded nature sounds are reproduced through the MAOPs with eery realism - most notably running water, temple bells, birds and rain/thunderstorms.

It's probably time to dig out the turntable and spin some of my symphonic recordings.

Mark is currently in hospital being treated for cancer, so he may not be able to reply very quickly. The MAOP units have been mostly sold in Japan; only a handful are outside that nation at the moment, so there are few user reports. If you search the Japanese audio forums, you may find some additional information.

Thanks for the heads up Scottmoose about mark being in the hospital Very sad news but, I pray he gets better soon. Jeff

Hi Mr.Mark,
Please advice which cabinet you are using to test Maop 7?

I doubt Mark uses a cabinet to test drive units; testing is usually done in anechoic chambers with an IEC standard test baffle. If he's listening to any at home (I doubt he's at work yet since he's only been out of hospital for a couple of weeks & this isn't something you recover from overnight), I would imagine they'll either be in small standmount bass reflex or sealed boxes, or possibly a pair of pensils.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.