Alpair 6 Bass Reflex Bookshelf

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
been thinking about is, but the 3 Alapirs are almost impossible to compare... the 5 being very small, so only near-field will allow full range, otherwise a FAST is needed, and the 10 capable of decent low end (and the 6 in between).

when thinking character, the 6 is probably the best when it comes to neutrality, the 5 when details and clarity come into play, and the 10 is simply magic while still also being objectively a good driver.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Henkjan said:
... the 3 Alapirs are almost impossible to compare... the 5 being very small, so only near-field will allow full range, otherwise a FAST is needed, and the 10 capable of decent low end (and the 6 in between).

After doing some experiments with the A5 precursor (J6T) i've yet to mount the A5 in the set of Henkhan TLs i have. A10s got play the same day the CHR70eN did (they are currently in the system), A6 are still languishing, but will get their own mFonken format box soon.

dave

can anyone compare the alpairs to certain fostex or tang bands?

I've seen good comments but comparisons say more to me.

Seems similar to "the smaller the driver, the more the detail, the less the bass."

The alpair 6's (round and rect) have the same cone, but the cone is smaller and much lighter alpair 5. Too bad the alpair 5 doesn't have a smaller frame.......... I have to remember that these are 3" drivers, not 2".

Maybe someone will build a pair near me :-(
None are loony as me round here...................

here is a link to a project with 3 alpair 6 in line array plus woofer.
http://test.markaudio.com/ja/plan/alpair-6/line-array

didn't I mention using 2 or 3 like this ? lol !!!!

Norman

The Brines FT1600 is Fostex. And I have also listened to a Jordan sphere.

Take Henkjan's word, and build the AP6. If you want bass, then build Jim Griffin's MLTL.

I built the BR for 2 reasons :

a) I want bookshelves.
b) I don't link damping multiple resonances (F3, F5, F7, .....) with wooly stuff. I rather avoid having them in the first place.

But that is my prejudice. ;)

Patrick

EUVL For German DIY fans : There is an article reviewing a dozen of full range speakers in the latest issue of Hobby HiFi, where all 3 Alpair's were tested and higly regarded : http://www.hobbyhifi.de/Aktuell/Akt...le_ausgabe.html Patrick

Can u give us more info on that patrick? since its in german, and i cannot see any more details rather than the cover :)

im interested how they tested the ALPAIR 10 BASS, always curious how they performed.

cheers

I did not buy the issue, just saw it at a news stand.

From memory, all 3 received very positive remarks. There were some measurable resonances around 8kHz or so, but very narrow, and was considered not an issue sonically, even without any notch filter correction.

The 10 was regarded to be at least equal to the Jordan JX92 but at a lower price. And they like the gold news better than the silver, the latter with more resonances because of the different coating.

Perhaps someone who has the magazine would care to do a full translation.

Patrick

Alpair 5, looking at markaudio's graphs, the gold has some +5db spikes at 2 and 3khz while the grey is smoother but a +5db hump from 2-3khz and another hump from 4-5khz.

Both have that massive climb near 10khz, but in room with lower dispersion at 5-10' that may not be too much of a problem.

A dual alpair 5 setup (per box) may move to the front of "future projects". The 1.5g cone for 27cm2 should make for great detail. An open baffle for low volume listening (plus bass supprt) might be fun.

Norman

Another update :

I saw today at the newspaper stand the latest issue of the Klang & Tone (German DIY magazine)

http://www.klangundton.de/

featuring the AP6 Bass reflex Monitor from Blue Ocean Acoustics, the German importer :

http://oaudio.de/Loudspeaker-DIY-ki...o::663.html?XTCsid=i00875q6hbgq8ndrc2egljnnv7

Volume is 6 litre. Bass reflex tuned at 71Hz (50mm nominal pipe 11.5cm long). Uses a filter with L 0.68mH // C 16.8µF // R 6.8 ohm). F-6dB is at 55Hz. The outside dimensions are 180mm W x 250mm H x 220mm D. Thickness 16mm (MDF). Sensitivity is 85dB at 2.83V / 1m.

The sound ?

"Even free standing away from the wall, this small monitor surprises with powerful bass and astonishing dynamics. ... the image depth is clear till the last place in the orchestra. The tonal balance is unspectacularly neutral and suited to all music types. The bass, mids and highs are in perfect harmony....."

But hearing is believing. And I cannot do that one for you.

:)

Patrick

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.