Alpair 12 Studio Reference Monitors fired up

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

Just wanted to show these. A quick photo for now and will post more later as time allows.

Alpair 12 in Studio Reference Monitors. This is phase one of my Clairtone Project G project. I will be working on some globe speakers using these drivers, but as the development proceeds I need a reference, something which I can describe the new work against.

I can`t wait for the drivers to open up, as it is, I am amazed at how much change they go through in just the first couple of hours. They sound pretty good so far, but still tight and not a lot of the lower end. Its there, but there is not the openness that should be there.

Attachments

• 065.JPG
    065.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 1,234
  • 027.JPG
    027.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 1,167
  • 029.JPG
    029.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 1,145
  • 036.JPG
    036.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 1,129
  • 041.JPG
    041.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 1,125
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I can`t wait for the drivers to open up, as it is, I am amazed at how much change they go through in just the first couple of hours. They sound pretty good so far, but still tight and not a lot of the lower end. Its there, but there is not the openness that should be there.

It is important to not that before i shipped the drivers to doug, they got at least 300 hrs low lwvel music on th break-in bench. So even with such a head start, the driver still improves as it gets mor juice.

dave

PS: i suspect the guitars in the background of the 1st pictur ar also Doug's work

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words.

These are just basic birch plywood, probably Aspen core, that I bought at Home Depot. Not quite Baltic Birch, but better than MDF. The corners are Cherry from offcuts that I have around the shop. Not required for what these cabinets are intended for but I just didn't want to have the plywood edges showing, not bad on BB, but not cool on this stuff.

One particularly annoying problem that I had is that this plywood was not as flat as it should have been! There are some slight curves to the panels that no one can detect, but made it very challenging to work around.

The finish is 4 coats of spar varnish because that is what I have a lot of here. It is gloss right now, I may sand with fine grit and buff some Tung oil on it. We`ll see how ambitious I get.

As for critical listening and appraisal, I don`t know what I should be expecting from these drivers right now and as they open up. After all, I only got them into the cabinets yesterday. There are so many factors affecting their performance: room, amp, source, ect. They are really revealing the shortcomings of everything upstream!

The only thing that I really have to compare them to are a pair of Saburos that my son made last summer, but different amp, different room. Haven`t compared them yet, so don`t ask yet.

Yes, Dave, I did build those guitars. Thanks for noticing and mentioning.

Here`s a little reminder of what I am working towards. The Clairtone Project G (for globes). Only 400 built during the early `60`s. I will be building an updated version with modern speakers and digital media center inside, we even a correct model turntable for it!

So, Phase II will be to get cabinets for the Alpair 12s that will fit inside an 18`diameter globe. I`m already in discussion with Dave on this problem and the solution will probably be a variation on his Mar-Ken 12. The original speaker was a Wharfedale 10" mounted on a plate at the equatorial region of the globe. I`ll also have to make a decision about the front globe; the original was spun perforated aluminum, one layer of black over a layer of natural. Looks really cool, but at what price is cool?

Don`t worry, I`ll keep the collective posted on progress.

Attachments

• arizona_g_main_gal5.jpg
    arizona_g_main_gal5.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 312
  • 2555233823_37134cfe03.jpg
    2555233823_37134cfe03.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 319
  • clairtone2.jpg
    clairtone2.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 493
  • arizona_g_main_gal3.jpg
    arizona_g_main_gal3.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 336
Last edited:
Welcome to Clairtone

I haven't heard one myself, but hope to. Apparently they sounded quite good, but there are no critical reviews that I have found, as in "quite good compared to..."

Endorsed by Frank Sinatra, Oscar Peterson, and many others. It was the height of '60's cool. They are very, very collectible right now, and very expensive.

Attachments

• 2936145025_a3c87f1a36.jpg
    2936145025_a3c87f1a36.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 295
After only a few days of playing in, I am very happy to report that these speakers have opened up a LOT! I've got my bass full and rich. These are not the same speaker of only last Friday!

I am very happy with them. I look forward to experimenting with the other planned enclosures en-route to my my Clairtone globes.

RE. the globes. There are many ways to make the hemispherical fronts and I have yet to decide what I want. Part of me wants the original "look", while part of me is willing to go with a different look altogether. I really have no idea about the acoustic impact of the original materials. I will be getting some sample materials to experiment with.

Thanks for the update. I started burning in a pair of 12's last Friday. They've been playing for just over 104 hours (with adjustments as prescribed on Mark Audio's website) and sound very good near-field. I'll have the cabinets, .75 cuft from PE, later this week. Looking forward to the next phase.

Rectangular. The depth on the curved won't work in one of the spaces I plan on using these. I'm not to concerned about deep bass response as I use sub-woofers for bottom end support. Haven't decided if I'll port / vent the cabinets or not.

I'll be comparing them to Jordan JX92s in my kitchen dining system initially.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.