alpair 12 studio monitor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
do not build this cabinet, it is a horror!
The sound is atrocious!

Attachments

• mltl.jpg
    mltl.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 241
Interesting! It looks fine in a sim using the current specs except being a bit too small for me, but all it appears to need is some baffle step compensation [BSC] to tonally balance it out from low to high assuming it's not in a corner.

GM

I recently had an A10p studio monitor we built auditioned in a large recording studio in town. They were directly compared to a pair of Yamaha ns10s and a large pair of Genelec monitors. They compared favorably to the ns10s, Even beating them in areas, but were out gunned by the Genelecs in terms of flat response. Of course keep in mind the Genelecs carried a $5000 price tag.

Interestingly, the sound engineer, who teaches acoustics in a local college was able to basically describe the frequency response of the A10p almost to the T. Pointing out small wiggles in the response at precise frequencies. (Very good ears!)

He advised that without EQ they would likely make a stellar home speaker and would have liked to hear them beside some rather pricey sets.

With a touch of EQ to flatten a few of the response Peaks, he suggested they could be a very useable "tool" in the studio.

We will be revising our design to incorporate some plate amps and sound processors.

All in all very promising. With a touch more design work we should have an excellent, high performing medium format Monitor.

Again, without EQ they held their own against the popular Yamaha NS10. I think there is a lot of potential for the use of full range in studio work.

Hmm, that's different than the sketch. The smaller vent tunes it so low it might as well be a sealed alignment. The larger vent tunes it 5-6 Hz higher than the original's 2" dia. x 4" vent, so at least will have much more mid-bass than your original vent.

edit: another 'senior moment', just realized I was reading the 6" as its length. :( Your original is somewhat misaligned too high and the new 3.5" long vent doesn't sim all that much different/better, though extra damping will affect it. Frankly, JG's original alignment [vent tuning] seems the best trade-off between smoothness, flatness, LF extension, so curious to see if you can get the big vent sounding good to you.

GM

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.