Alpair 10.2 "Castle" ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I don't because a/ I would hope & am trying to encourage people to experiment for themselves, and b/ both of the blanket statements you make above are incorrect. In a specific set of circumstances, one or both may be, as you have discovered. In others, it is not. Default is a uniform stuffing density throughout the enclosure, which will not automatically result in 'sub-optimal bass performance' and in many cases provide superior results.

OK, Scott. You know better than I do. That's a given.

I was simply relating my experience and my desire to have had more of a guideline.

It would be beating a dead horse to ask, but I am truly curious how many people are running fully stuffed Pensil 10.2 cabinets and getting balanced bass response. 3 people already have expressed surprise that I was running them fully stuffed, as if that was an obvious blunder.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Regarding A) above (and getting back to the thread topic) would you also encourage me to experiment by cutting a hole in the top of one of the cabinets, installing the second Alpair 10.2 in there, and then playing with different port lengths in an effort to possibly discover another "Accidental" design? A "SuperCastle", perhaps?

Last edited:
Re the damping, I've given all the guidelines I wish to for these particular boxes. Adjustability was part of the design goal, the details are up to the end user. Some people like fooling with wires for e.g.: playing with damping to suit specific room / system / preferences in these boxes will make a hell of a lot more difference than most wires ever will. ;)

God knows re the latter. I certainly don't, since they're intended to be flexible to allow people to optimise them for individual situations / requirements. As SWAG, I'd anticipate that probably < 50% of the pensil enclosures built (not just the 10.2 boxes) use the default values, what they end up with depending on what people find works best in their particular circumstances.

Last edited:
Regarding A) above (and getting back to the thread topic) would you also encourage me to experiment by cutting a hole in the top of one of the cabinets, installing the second Alpair 10.2 in there, and then playing with different port lengths in an effort to possibly discover another "Accidental" design?

I was referring specifically to the damping, but if you want to try it, I'm not going to try to stop you. You might be surprised at the results. ;)

I think a cursory review of MLTL designs would show that they are rarely / never fully stuffed.

OK, Scott. You know better than I do. That's a given.

I was simply relating my experience and my desire to have had more of a guideline.

It would be beating a dead horse to ask, but I am truly curious how many people are running fully stuffed Pensil 10.2 cabinets and getting balanced bass response. 3 people already have expressed surprise that I was running them fully stuffed, as if that was an obvious blunder.

It is indeed an MLTL, but the pensils are a rather specific variation / alignment thereof. Well, truth to tell, the 10.2 box uses a slightly different one, since I wanted to hold height constant across the range, but the same default of being stuffed throughout (well, down to the top of the vent at any rate) applies, with the caveat that it's expected that people will play with the damping to suit themselves (think of it as manly art & craft ;) )

Last edited:
As I usually let Dave parse the amount of fill for my builds, I often don't read some of the fine print on the plan sets - is it just me or those the following from page 10 of the Pensil plan set not make sense?

"1) Stuff with .75lbs /ft^3 (1.59 lbs = .72g) " shouldn't that read Kg or 720 grams?

Jeff's 280g is a little over 1/2 pound, perhaps light if as he says the box was not partially lined ( 1/2" Ultra Touch felted denim, IIRC)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.