Alp10.2 in 17literBR

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Waves???

Hi again!

No waves for us out here - just helicopters between platforms on Ekofisk/Eldfisk field. Maintenance and keeping up old telecom-system. But 4 week off at home is a fairly good deal - gives one time to keep some good sounding speakers up to date.
FullRange is perfect(and Alp10.2 is nr1 - and FR125Sr a little juvel)

Greatings All!

Olav

Now - The pics!!

Hi John!

Home from platform and playing some music. Roger Waters - Amused to Death!!
The soundscape is so transparent and at times I must turn down the volume because I`m afraid the bass is too much(it`s not - the 10.2 is fairly well broken in now!) - but if after a long silent spacey tune - and the bass turns HEAVY! Then it gets spooky! And just more so on Three Wishes!!
But to the point: the picture is of the plate over the sticks and I think it is about 120 mm long, but I made an additional 25 mm long plate so the lenght is about 145 mm + the hole in the front which is 18 mm= 163 mm! This is not exact, but I`m gonna make some arrangement inside my speakers 1 day next week so I can give you a more exact number then!

Best to all!!;)

Olav

Attachments

• DSC_0109 (1).jpg
    DSC_0109 (1).jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 356
  • DSC_0079 (1).jpg
    DSC_0079 (1).jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 355
Alp10 Gen1???

Hi John!

I`m not sure if my 17 liter box will fit the Generation 10.1 exactly - I really doubt it will do fit. The ports will mostly fit - but the internal volume i think will be too big!

I would rather go (with Alp10.1) for an internal volume around 13-14 liter. The parameters and what Mark(MarkAudio) and Dave (Planet10)has proposed is more around these results.

But you decide for yourself - and the result can be satisfiying! My own trying both on Fonken with FR125SR and my last build teached me that the fun is in the process/searching and the result is ALWAYS a teaching for good or for (sometime) not so good. BUT I was VERY lucky with my buildings, and we as humans are not always this happy with our findings in life!!

Good luck with your project.

Best to all

Olav

last fix

Hi all!

Had a(I think :))last inside fix on my 10.2 to see - if there was something more that could be done to strighten bass or other things with the sound.
The sound is so good already - so wasn`t expecting much to be honest!!

Started with glueing some more felt on a couple places where there was some open holes, and got some more permanent screws to the back plate!

The I sat down with the Stereophile TestCD : And started listening first to the Phase and some more before I turned to the basstest-section: And it all went well - first 100Hz, then 63, then 50, then 40, then 31,5(weak-but still), AND then 25(like a whisper).

So I tuned it to somewhere around 35-40Hz - and it gives output down to low 30 Hz. So making the backplate airtight really helps the bass in this PERFECT driver in this small box:D
So all this in a 17liter Ported Homemade Speaker: 30 Hz to over 20000 Hz and with a soundscape that is startling!

Greatings to all.

Olav

Some more...

Hi!

The following is a post that I made on the Class D:
Hi there all!
This is my first go in the amp-building appartment! A SDS254Kit. It is just running its first go with some music this week - and 1 impression is - that it is just as good as my 2 year old HK980 - if not even more revealing. A little weak in the bass, but will change the electrolytic caps to some better/bigger later - in a box that is more accepting for this! A very good soundstage with my Alpair10.2 when I use the pre-amp in the Harman. Even straight from the Touch with some 24/96 music from BowersWilkins Music Club is very good(need some better DA-converter than my old DagMagic to fully unlock this possibility.
Next step - build a Nelson B1 Passive Buffer(some additional tricks from some of you guy out there as help for this build?).

And after some time with the Alpair the impression is: the Soundscape is tremendous and it fills my big living room. When I listen to Herbie Hancock in his translation of Don`t Give Up(Peter Gabriel cover) on the Imagine Project it is like the piano is in the room. And even if I don`t like jazz(this album deserves a place in our hobby with it`s genre-crossing world/rock/jazz/blues sound) - it really gives me pleasure to listen to it: And Hancock has some Tetra 606 Open Baffle speakers in his home - so the groundwork should be exellent - tetra 606

And after that a F4-F5 amp - maybe? And maybe an Alpair12.2 MAOP? If time and Spirit allows!!

Building has never been so fun since I build an Hafler Pre-amp and a Sentec Power-amp in the 80s!

Best to all

Olav

Attachments

• DSC_0640.jpg
    DSC_0640.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 175
  • DSC_0642.jpg
    DSC_0642.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 174
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.