alnico`s 8 inch

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i intentionally left them out because when i contacted them for names/numbers of places in the uk and europe where i could buy the drivers they responded with questions and ceased contact after they figured out i'm an american not living abroad but visiting. didn't help that i told them i have a extended family member living in paris and that i could have her buy them for me to bring home with me so time wouldn't be a issue. at the time last year the drivers were almost half of what they cost here.

i think that an alnico 8 inch is the best
balance between paper surfes and magnet power
a 10 inch has allready a heavy cone

best foirixi

Do bear in mind that just because it is Alnico does not mean it is a more powerful magnet! Now, if you have a given size of motor, say it weighs 20 oz, in all likely hood the Alnico is stronger. However, most of the ferrite magnets on the market are larger than most of the Alnico magnets. In terms of "magnet power" flux is flux. So, a Fostex 206 or 207 has a much stronger magnet that the f200a, or the Seas Exotica for that matter.

The debate is whether the magnet material makes a sonic difference, and if so, why. That is a much thornier question.

Paul
Wild Burro Audio Labs - DIY Full Range Speakers

i intentionally left them out because when i contacted them for names/numbers of places in the uk and europe where i could buy the drivers they responded with questions and ceased contact after they figured out i'm an american not living abroad but visiting. didn't help that i told them i have a extended family member living in paris and that i could have her buy them for me to bring home with me so time wouldn't be a issue. at the time last year the drivers were almost half of what they cost here.
Iam shocked as PHY-HP is racist(French). Two years ago I send email to them, as I live in Brazil they never respond me.
As you can remenber in 2008 a hi price boutique in Paris expelled Ophra just because she is a black woman.
I never see a better custumer service than the MarkAudio guys and the new ALPAIR 12 8 inches is a extraordinary FR, seems under 200dollars each.

Last edited:
if you're able to do a high efficiency alnico version of your o.b. driver

The only alnico motor I can get at a price I deem reasonable would provide an Xmech that is shorter than I believe is necessary for OB. It would be limited to use with a high pass filter and helper woofer, and I'm not convinced the market is there to make it worth the development costs. I wouldn't be opposed to exploring a group buy sort of thing if there was some really solid interest. But those interested in something fancier should relax for a couple of months. I may roll out something you'll be interested in . . .

Paul

Last edited:
Iam shocked as PHY-HP is racist(French). Two years ago I send email to them, as I live in Brazil they never respond me.
As you can remenber in 2008 a hi price boutique in Paris expelled Ophra just because she is a black woman.
I never see a better custumer service than the MarkAudio guys and the new ALPAIR 12 8 inches is a extraordinary FR, seems under 200dollars each.
unbelievable! i didn't know of that. is "Ophra", Oprah Winfrey?

thanks for the recommendation but i'm looking for high efficiency to use with a 2A3 set amp. i'm affraid the 89db Alpair 12, even in a small room at lower volume and not clipping will lack dynamics with just 3watts/channel.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
at least for boyz in Europe - Hungarian Sonido have their 8" in both ceramic and AlNiCo version

when I say "their 8" " , I mean on both NLH and BR (Onken) variants

look at Sonido akusztika or - english - http://www.sonido.hu/eng/home.htm

their site isn't so current , but you can always sent them e-mail

for closer info - just type my name and Sonido in search here .

off course - I'm just happy customer , not connected with them in any way or meaning

unbelievable! i didn't know of that. is "Ophra", Oprah Winfrey?
thanks for the recommendation but i'm looking for high efficiency to use with a 2A3 set amp. i'm affraid the 89db Alpair 12, even in a small room at lower volume and not clipping will lack dynamics with just 3watts/channel.
Yes, she is indeed, even in Brazil the TV news spot it alot as a scandal. They invite Ophra to return to the shop after the case came public.
In this case I know no one better than the Visaton B200, paper cone, MMS=9,8grams, 40w.cont, SPL 96dB, FS 40hz, QTS 0,75 Xmax 3,5mm QTS 0,75 EBP 48, price 135 dollars at Welcome to E-Speakers.com - Very High End Loudspeaker Components
It is a ceramic magnet and is out of stock afew time in this US shop, but is a very praised FR in various forums.
Visaton - Lautsprecher und Zubehör, Loudspeakers and Accessories

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
This is fixable passively, if you like the rest of the driver.

bad choice - in any case - putting anything in front of FR driver ;

main (starting ) goal is to have xoverless driver ; common praxis is to put freely in front of FR some sort of high-pass xover , when using helper bass driver ..... but using anything in precious telephone range is blasphemy - at least when you can buy driver which doesn't need that .

but - as I wrote - your mileage may & must vary ...

Orly? Do you have the flux density spec for these three drivers to back up your claim?

I don't have flux density specs, but I suppose I could calculate them had I the time. However, the BL is awfully dependent on flux density, right? And the BL's of these drivers is substantially different: I'm getting in the neighborhood of Fostex's spec for the 206 (alas I didn't save the number, but it was around 12), while the F200A returns 7.89 (using Horn Response to arrive at that number). Unlike the Fostex numbers, my calculation for the Seas Exotic was nearly identical to spec: 5.25. They do publish a flux number, BTW.

Am I being an idiot? I often act as if I know more than I do, so enlighten me. I may have choosen a poor example too, given how different the drivers are in other respects (Mms, for example). All I'm trying to say is that it probably ain't the flux difference that causes folks to prefer Alnico. Maybe the Lowther PM6C and PM6A would have made a better comparison.

Paul

No, I don't know if you are being an idiot or not. Bl is a combination of something like flux versus VC winding length, right? I have seen large motors with a low BL number and small motors with a high Bl and also the other way 'round. So I wonder if the 200A has a lower Bl simply because of a longer winding length - I don't know. Also I believe the 200A has nearly double the moving mass of the 206 or 207.
I notice the Bl of the Audio Nirvana AlNiCo is lower than its ferrite equivalent. But the price is way more. I don't put much stock in Bl figures anyway. I'd like to see flux specs on all loudspeaker drivers, but that's wishful thinking. I like to look at the flux and then compare it to the moving mass. I may oversimplify, but I believe people prefer AlNiCo because if offers higher flux per kilo than ferrite so if other things remain equal you should get a better 'rise time' on your cone. The quicker it starts and stops, the closer it emulates reality. But the cost of AlNiCo and the need for recharge puts me off. With Neodymium's ability to outperform AlNiCo AND at a lower cost I don't see the need to use AlNiCo anymore - at all.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.