All Loudspeakers Factories

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
doubt that. You hear about Eminence alot more because Foster does not sell raw drivers at retail under their own name (Fostex being as close as you get -- and keep in mind that Fostex is relatively new to North America, and probably by themselves sell as many drivers in Asia as Eminence does worldwide). There is a good chance that the speakers in your computer or your phone are Foster (if you have a newer Macintosh, it is almost assured).

Eminence may be the biggest now. 3 million drivers a year (approx.) from the Kentucky plant... and they've opened up an Asian plant a few years ago, that probably comes close (or at least SHOULD eventually, if it doesn't yet) to making that many speakers AGAIN, in addition to their US production. Rather than export to Asia, they decided to build there!

Anybody got any idea about production numbers, for Foster?

Regards,
Gordon.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
GordonW said:
Eminence may be the biggest now. 3 million drivers a year (approx.) from the Kentucky plant... and they've opened up an Asian plant a few years ago,

I couldn't find any numbers for Foster, but their speaker production just for the computer industry is probably at least that many units.

I did find that they sold ~23 billion yen in 6 months ending 09/06 (a slump year due to declining prices) and that they have fixed assets of 30 billion yen.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
planet10 said:
but their speaker production just for the computer industry is probably at least that many units.

Using Apple's 1st quarter fiscal results as a base, Foster shipped approx 2.5 million speakers to Apple for units sold in the 1st quarter.

If one were to include the speakers in iPod headphones that is another 42 million units (i'm not sure that Foster is the OEM for the headphones -- i do know they are for all the drivers in the computers -- 2 per iMac, 2 per laptop, and at least 1 in each tower).

Multiply that by 4, add in all the other OEM clients & Fostex direct sales of speakers & speaker units, and in terms of shear numbers it seems eminance isn't even close.

dave

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
planet10 said:

I doubt that. You hear about Eminence alot more because Foster does not sell raw drivers at retail under their own name (Fostex being as close as you get -- and keep in mind that Fostex is relatively new to North America, and probably by themselves sell as many drivers in Asia as Eminence does worldwide). There is a good chance that the speakers in your computer or your phone are Foster (if you have a newer Macintosh, it is almost assured

Computer and telephone? I thought we were talking real speakers here. Eminence has become a hugh OEM supplier to every sector, most especially musical instument speakers. They produce for Fender, Peavey, Marshall, the list goes on.
You can even custom order low production runs of a driver designed and built to your specs, I think as low as 50.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
MJL21193 said:
Computer and telephone? I thought we were talking real speakers here. Eminence has become a hugh OEM supplier to every sector, most especially musical instument speakers. They produce for Fender, Peavey, Marshall, the list goes on.

I'm not disputing that Eminence hasn't become a significant force in the market. I'm just backing my contention that it is not the largest -- maybe largest US manufacturer, but in the worldwide market they seem to have a ways to go. I'm am trying to illustrate how really large some of these manufacturers are.

You don't think that Eminence is also building for the low end market? Especially cars?

And Fostex doesn't make "real speakers"? What is a real speaker? where do you draw the line? How many of the resellers above are actually selling OEMs made by Foster?

The Fostex FE126 & FE127 probably represent the best value for the dollar hifi speaker available for the money today, and they represent quite a few drivers in the "mass maufactured" hi-end.

Most of Fostex business is in Pro work... here are some examples for the hifi market (which might be 1-2% (WAG) of the companies output)

F120A.jpg

fw405n.jpg

W400AII.jpg

FW800N.jpg

t500amk2.jpg

and some of the stuff you usually see talked about...

FE127E.jpg

fe206es-r.jpg

FE168EZ.jpg

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.