All Hitachi Lateral Fet amplifier for DIY described by Paul Kemble

2SK170 Availablity Link

Hi, look here, I even, layout a PCB few years ago for this amplifier !:wiz:
Regards,
Alex mm

I know Alex. This circuit design and PCB design is mind blowing. It does perfect justice to these mosfets from Toshiba.

Now the problem for me is 2sk170 is not available anywhere in India. I know that replacing 2sk170 will change the dimensions of sound.

The guy in this below link has it. He says it would take 5 weeks to deliver to India.

AUTHELECTRONIC.COM

Also can I use 2SC3421 and 2SA1358 instead of 2SC3423 and 2SA1360? Because again these are not available.

Best

Ganesh

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Good hunting Ganesh. I'm assuming there's some sort of minimum quantity. Did they indicate pricing?

Do note that the Gm variation in the LSK parts is quite extreme and there is a limited range of parts that DIY'ers can use for most amps. Also that like all other JFETs matching between parts is very poor and they need to be matched by hand. So even if you need say 4 devices, you may need to buy 10-12 just to arrive at somewhat close matches.

The circuit shown here does not seem to require such close matching and has an adjustment to fix errors caused by poor matching between the halves of the diff pair, but running equal currents through both arms is always a better idea. Thus will also benefit from some balance between parts.

LSK170 and 2sk1058 and 2sj162 Availability In India

Sangram,

You are correct. Therefore I plan to order atleast 20.

If anyone is in need of 2sk1058 and 2sj162, it is available in SP Road, Bangalore at Santhosh Electro Spares. He also has 2SC3421 and 2SA1358 in stock.

I also purchased T03 version of MJL21194 and MJL21193 from him. He also has MPSA 93 and MPSA 43.

He also has lot of rare classic JFets K series.

Ganesh

First of all, I want to apologize to Wahab and Alex because they helped me a lot with this project.
Yes, I built the amp based on my PC board design BUT never tested for personal and health reasons.
I got disabled with PTSD which affect all areas of my life.:eek:
The other problem I live in an apartment in the last 13 years and the owner is not happy because he can not increase the rent how he would love to.
Tried to cheat, etc on all old tenants but we found out.
Now if I type on the computer is too loud t them! :devilr:
Because I live alone (due to the disability) I am under extra attack.
My plan to find a roommate to resolve this problem and after I can listen to music or finish my projects.
Sorry guys to move now is not an option because someplace a bead room rent almost as high as the apartment I rent.
I hope it all makes sense and one more time my apology.

Greetings to all:)

2sk1058 and 2sj162 Amplifier and Other Vintage Amplifiers

Hi Gabor,

Very sorry to know about your situation.

I pray for your well-being and I am sure you will bounce back.

I was always wondering why this thread abruptly stopped after you assembling most of the amplifier.

In early 90s, I have built most amplifiers, pre-amplifiers and tonecontroles thrown by 'Elector Electronics' and 'Electronics For You' in India. I also designed and built few digital control circuits for audio purposes then.

I'm a software professional and electronics is just my hobby and I don't fully understand the in-depth working of the designs, though I understand things well at the application layer. I am learning electronics theory from couple of months and I intend to design something myself in a few months.

Right now I am making a few Youtube videos on Vintage amplifier designs and so was very much fascinated by this amplifier designed by you guys.

Some projects that I have taken-up are

1. A 50 + 50 watts power amplifier based on Exicon 10N20 and 10P20. (This project is already done and I shall upload the video soon)
2. Restoration of the Elector Mini Crescendo amplifier that I built it 1991 when I was in high school, which is still working great.
3. 160w + 160w Crescendo with 2SK1058 and 2SJ162 mosfets. (I have the PCBs from Elector that I had purchased in 90s)
4. 240w + 240w BUZ23 based quasi symmetric mosfet amplifier. BUZ23s are no longer available so I am substituting them with IRF150 TO3.(Elector Project)
5. 50w + 50w LM391 input, MJE340 MJE350 driver and MJL21194, MJL21193 output stage amplifier. (This was my first build in 1989 when I was in 10th grade using MJ2955 and MJ3055 output stage)
6. IRF240 and IRF9240 based Hexfet amplifier. (I had built IRF540 and IRF9240 based hexfet amplifier from Elector in mid 90s)
7. I want to test the Elvee's Circlophone design.
8. I also want to test a very well designed Toshiba 5300-1943 design.

I would be needing help from all you guys.

Believe me, best of best amplifiers such as McIntosh, Emotiva etc., did not impress me compared to some DIY designs. (my opinion and no offence)

For every audio fanatics out there, I shall spill out a secret. Follow this to build impressive audio circuits. Watch the below youtube video for this.

Are Your Capacitors Installed Backwards? Build this and find out - YouTube

Best

Ganesh Laxmanmurthy

LSK170 and 2sk1058 and 2sj162 Availability In India

Hi Everyone:

Date: 10-09-2020

Below is the quote I got for LSK170 and LSK489 directly from the company.

Minimum order to be placed for 25 Nos.each

1) LSK489 - SOT 23 6L Package Low noise Low capacitance Monolithic dual, N channel JFET
Price for 25 pieces Rs. 13,200.00 + GST 18% extra

2) LSK170A - - SOT 23 3L Package Low noise & Capacitance , N channel JFET
Price for 25 pieces Rs. 13,500.00 + GST 18% extra

Terms

1) Payment 100% advance
2) Delivery: 4 weeks from receipt of order and advance payment
3) Order to be placed on

Electronic Enterprises India Pvt Ltd
Unit 403, Taramandal complex,
Saifabad, Hyderabad 500 004

See if some of can share the items and buy.

Best

Ganesh Laxmanmurthy

LSK170 and LSK489 Availability

Good hunting Ganesh. I'm assuming there's some sort of minimum quantity. Did they indicate pricing?

Do note that the Gm variation in the LSK parts is quite extreme and there is a limited range of parts that DIY'ers can use for most amps. Also that like all other JFETs matching between parts is very poor and they need to be matched by hand. So even if you need say 4 devices, you may need to buy 10-12 just to arrive at somewhat close matches.

The circuit shown here does not seem to require such close matching and has an adjustment to fix errors caused by poor matching between the halves of the diff pair, but running equal currents through both arms is always a better idea. Thus will also benefit from some balance between parts.

Hi Sangram,

Please check the post below and I have posted the reply from the company regarding pricing for LSK170

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Matching SOT devices is extremely complex. You'll have to solder all of them on adapters first, and then measure each one. You might have better luck about these devices on an Indian audio DIY forum, there might be takers (or better offers). These are A grade, which are mostly the wrong grade anyway.

Prices are also not great at about $10 each. The store has them matched for about $7 each when bought as quads. Even with customs and shipping, it works out to be a better deal as you have no discards and no guesswork. You can get 8 devices matched to 0.1mA at about $60, plus say 50 for shipping and customs (which is flat 60% across all categories now). That's INR ~8.5k for 8x TO-92 devices, which is about half what you're being asked for here for unmatched SMT devices in the wrong grade. I can guarantee you'll not get 8 closely matched parts at that price.

There aren't many takers for these devices and those that use them (like me) have a small stockpile, much like squirrels and nuts. I have enough to get me through life (not LS, I have only the Toshibas). Now that I've seen them, I'm thinking of getting a couple octets of the complementary and some of the quads as per monthly allowances soon as backup resources.

Today I put together a HITACHI-FFET-MOD5-5-SCH mockup. The result is excellent. The sound is very clear. At a load of 8.5 Ohm /+ _36V, the amplitude is 40V. However, above this span, there is an excitation at the positive vertex. Attempts to increase the corrective capacities did not solve the problem, unfortunately. Perhaps the reason is the poor quality of components.

Attachments

• Макет.JPG
    Макет.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 293
  • 1КГц.JPG
    1КГц.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 140
  • 20КГц.JPG
    20КГц.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 119
  • 100КГц.JPG
    100КГц.JPG