Alesis amp module vs. gainclone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone put the two head-to-head?

I am building a monitor amp out of a few of these moudles and was wondering... should I use them as they are (bypass or change the crossover of course) or should I just take them apart for the LM3886's and build gainclones out of them?

I plan to use the entire module as-is - I'm replacing the amp in an old pair of Advent powered speakers.
If you believe in the mystique of gainclones, these Alesis amps simply will not do. I really believe that a lot of the hype surrounding these things is just that. If you use something other than the magic recipe, psychologically you will feel that it is inferior and therefore it will sound that way to you.
Bypassing the crossover and driving the chip amps directly should sound the same as a regular gainclone. You can't beat the price. I say go for it, then build the magic version and see if you can tell the difference. If you can, the jury's still out as to whether it's something physical or just psychological.

Peter Daniel said:
What's Alesis?

Alesis is a mid level studio hardware company. They make studio effect proccesors, EQ's, Mixers, Monitors, and some really nice sounding monitor amps--ie RA-100 (the old school one)

These amp modules are probably from their older Point7 Active monitors.

I have owned a few Alesis effect modules in the past and some have been good(the old ones) and others have been ok..(the newer ones)

Oh yeah.. If you've listened to the radio in the past decade 80% of the drums in pop music and some rock music is from their line of Drum Modules (DM-4 and DM-5) --mostly kicks and snares.

Overall Alesis is somewhat respected in the small project studio and well respected for the DM series in production studios...

I think I wll use the amp modules mostly as-is. I am not too fond of the 1600Hz 8th order crossover(4 1st order in series)... I will probably bypass most of the crossovers and go with passive (dodges flames) crossovers...

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Alesis Modules

I started out with over 1400 of the modules and
there are alot of happy people out there. This was
a great deal if you knew how to work with them.
As for what they were used in they came out of
the electric piano's and not the M1 active monitor's
I do have about 8 left of the plate amp from the
M1's still in stock and selling as is for $39.95
They have the same LM 3886T and LM2876T chips
but is about 3" wider with the switching power supply
and the front plate.
Steve @ Apex Jr

out of stock!?

Aww!! Story of my life...

oh well. I smoked one of the amps I orderd from ApexJr and was going to order one more. Guess I'm outta luck. I have orderd some LM3875 samples from NS to build gainclones. I guess I can use the remaining amp module for a sub amp--after replacing the LM2876 with another LM3886 and changing the crossovers to all lowpass.

On that note...could the crossover sections of this module be used for a Linkwitz Transform?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.